Jul 7, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
With any luck, it’s just a 10-day assignment.
Brandon Belt, who began a rehab assignment Saturday after missing a month with a fractured wrist, was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Fresno on Thursday.
Belt earned his way back to the majors on May 26, only to get hurt in his second game back with the Giants. He was 2-for-5 with a walk in two appearances before going on the DL.
With the All-Star break coming up, it wouldn’t make any sense for the Giants to activate Belt this weekend. So, they might as well send him down and save a little cash and maybe a little service time, depending on when he’s recalled. If Belt were to get hurt again in the minors while on the major league DL, the Giants would have had to keep paying him and letting him accrue service time.
Belt, though, deserves to be in the majors, and hopefully, the Giants will go ahead and call him up 10 days from now. He’s started off 5-for-14 with a homer through five games on his rehab assignment.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)