Jul 7, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
With any luck, it’s just a 10-day assignment.
Brandon Belt, who began a rehab assignment Saturday after missing a month with a fractured wrist, was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Fresno on Thursday.
Belt earned his way back to the majors on May 26, only to get hurt in his second game back with the Giants. He was 2-for-5 with a walk in two appearances before going on the DL.
With the All-Star break coming up, it wouldn’t make any sense for the Giants to activate Belt this weekend. So, they might as well send him down and save a little cash and maybe a little service time, depending on when he’s recalled. If Belt were to get hurt again in the minors while on the major league DL, the Giants would have had to keep paying him and letting him accrue service time.
Belt, though, deserves to be in the majors, and hopefully, the Giants will go ahead and call him up 10 days from now. He’s started off 5-for-14 with a homer through five games on his rehab assignment.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)