Jul 7, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Michael Golde, an employee of KTRS 550 AM in St. Louis, tweeted Thursday afternoon that the Cardinals and left-handed starter Jaime Garcia had reached agreement on a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension with club options for 2016 and 2017.
The Cardinals have not confirmed the rumor, but they’re not completely shooting it down either.
Cards GM John Mozeliak told Matthew Leach of MLB.com before Thursday night’s game against the Diamondbacks that “any contract discussions that we have with any player will be done privately, and when we have an announcement, we’ll have an announcement.” Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was informed by a team official that a physical has been scheduled. And that Garcia is not hurt.
In other words, it’s probably happening. And an official announcement could be coming soon.
Garcia earned Rookie of the Year votes last season after posting a 2.70 ERA and 132 strikeouts in 163 1/3 innings. He’s done well in his sophomore campaign, too, with a 3.23 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 95/30 K/BB ratio through 111 1/3 frames. But his home-away splits hint at comfortability — and perhaps confidence — issues.
In 155 2/3 career innings at Busch Stadium, the 24-year-old has a 1.73 ERA and has limited opposing hitters to a .553 OPS. In 135 career innings away from Busch, he has a 4.60 ERA and a .756 opponents’ OPS.
Garcia is still a pre-arbitration player, earning $437,000 this season. The new deal, if similar to the terms that Golde is reporting, would cover all three of his arbitration years while also spilling over into free agency.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)