Jul 7, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
One could reasonably criticize the Cubs and Carlos Zambrano for various things he’s done while suffering from a bad back. Gotta be careful and everything, because his health is important.
One could also unreasonably criticize the Cubs and Carlos Zambrano for the way he handles himself while he’s recovering from his injuries. This bit, from Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune, looks pretty damn unreasonable to me:
Now get a load of this: Zambrano plans to fly to Guatemala over the All-Star break to prepare for the adoption of his son. Can you say “utter disrespect,’’ boys and girls?
He calls Zambrano a “dope” for doing this and the Cubs “dopes” for allowing it.
Yeah, I mean, where does he get off? How dare you claim you can’t fly with the team to Washington for an early-July series against the Nationals in which you would not have participated while doing silly stuff like going to Guatemala to adopt a baby boy?! Those things are totally equivalent in terms of importance! How disrespectful of you, dumb dumb Carlos Zambrano for doing it and dumb dumb Cubs for allowing it!
Some folks get criticized for missing the game as a result of having their heads buried in spreadsheets. Better that than to miss the important things in life as a result of having your head buried in a game.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)