Jul 7, 2011, 3:21 PM EST
One could reasonably criticize the Cubs and Carlos Zambrano for various things he’s done while suffering from a bad back. Gotta be careful and everything, because his health is important.
One could also unreasonably criticize the Cubs and Carlos Zambrano for the way he handles himself while he’s recovering from his injuries. This bit, from Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune, looks pretty damn unreasonable to me:
Now get a load of this: Zambrano plans to fly to Guatemala over the All-Star break to prepare for the adoption of his son. Can you say “utter disrespect,’’ boys and girls?
He calls Zambrano a “dope” for doing this and the Cubs “dopes” for allowing it.
Yeah, I mean, where does he get off? How dare you claim you can’t fly with the team to Washington for an early-July series against the Nationals in which you would not have participated while doing silly stuff like going to Guatemala to adopt a baby boy?! Those things are totally equivalent in terms of importance! How disrespectful of you, dumb dumb Carlos Zambrano for doing it and dumb dumb Cubs for allowing it!
Some folks get criticized for missing the game as a result of having their heads buried in spreadsheets. Better that than to miss the important things in life as a result of having your head buried in a game.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)