Jul 7, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
As we saw yesterday, most of the pitchers Derek Jeter has the most hits against have been Red Sox. However, his career numbers against Boston aren’t so illustrious. Here is how he’s fared against his American League opponents:
Indians: 171-for-503 – .340
Angels: 194-for-584 – .332
Tigers: 173-for-525 – .330
Rangers: 179-for-558 – .321
Twins: 148-for-462 – .320
Blue Jays: 285-for-904 – .315
Royals: 155-for-493 – .314
Rays: 270-for-870 – .310
Athletics: 169-for-558 – .303
Orioles: 303-for-1004 – .302
White Sox: 142-for-550 – .289
Red Sox: 286-for-993 – .288
Mariners: 171-for-598 – .286
He has his worst OPS against Boston, a .753 mark. He’s at .771 against the White Sox and .774 against the Mariners.
His best OPS is against the Rangers, even though it’s just his fourth highest average. He’s hit 24 homers against Texas, which is his high mark against any team even though he has nearly 500 fewer plate appearances against them than against the Orioles or Red Sox. After Texas at .909, his second highest OPS is against the Angels, .887.
Against NL opponents, Jeter has come it at .333/.406/.490, a line well north of his career mark of .312/.383/.449. Of course, he’s faced the Mets far more than any other NL team, and he’s hit an outstanding .381/.435/.575 in 320 at-bats against them.
Jeter has also excelled against the Pirates (.417 in 36 AB) and Rockies (.412 in 34 AB). He’s struggled against the Astros (.216 in 37 AB) and Cubs (.217 in 23 AB).
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)