Jul 7, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
As we saw yesterday, most of the pitchers Derek Jeter has the most hits against have been Red Sox. However, his career numbers against Boston aren’t so illustrious. Here is how he’s fared against his American League opponents:
Indians: 171-for-503 – .340
Angels: 194-for-584 – .332
Tigers: 173-for-525 – .330
Rangers: 179-for-558 – .321
Twins: 148-for-462 – .320
Blue Jays: 285-for-904 – .315
Royals: 155-for-493 – .314
Rays: 270-for-870 – .310
Athletics: 169-for-558 – .303
Orioles: 303-for-1004 – .302
White Sox: 142-for-550 – .289
Red Sox: 286-for-993 – .288
Mariners: 171-for-598 – .286
He has his worst OPS against Boston, a .753 mark. He’s at .771 against the White Sox and .774 against the Mariners.
His best OPS is against the Rangers, even though it’s just his fourth highest average. He’s hit 24 homers against Texas, which is his high mark against any team even though he has nearly 500 fewer plate appearances against them than against the Orioles or Red Sox. After Texas at .909, his second highest OPS is against the Angels, .887.
Against NL opponents, Jeter has come it at .333/.406/.490, a line well north of his career mark of .312/.383/.449. Of course, he’s faced the Mets far more than any other NL team, and he’s hit an outstanding .381/.435/.575 in 320 at-bats against them.
Jeter has also excelled against the Pirates (.417 in 36 AB) and Rockies (.412 in 34 AB). He’s struggled against the Astros (.216 in 37 AB) and Cubs (.217 in 23 AB).
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (170)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)