Jul 7, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
As we saw yesterday, most of the pitchers Derek Jeter has the most hits against have been Red Sox. However, his career numbers against Boston aren’t so illustrious. Here is how he’s fared against his American League opponents:
Indians: 171-for-503 – .340
Angels: 194-for-584 – .332
Tigers: 173-for-525 – .330
Rangers: 179-for-558 – .321
Twins: 148-for-462 – .320
Blue Jays: 285-for-904 – .315
Royals: 155-for-493 – .314
Rays: 270-for-870 – .310
Athletics: 169-for-558 – .303
Orioles: 303-for-1004 – .302
White Sox: 142-for-550 – .289
Red Sox: 286-for-993 – .288
Mariners: 171-for-598 – .286
He has his worst OPS against Boston, a .753 mark. He’s at .771 against the White Sox and .774 against the Mariners.
His best OPS is against the Rangers, even though it’s just his fourth highest average. He’s hit 24 homers against Texas, which is his high mark against any team even though he has nearly 500 fewer plate appearances against them than against the Orioles or Red Sox. After Texas at .909, his second highest OPS is against the Angels, .887.
Against NL opponents, Jeter has come it at .333/.406/.490, a line well north of his career mark of .312/.383/.449. Of course, he’s faced the Mets far more than any other NL team, and he’s hit an outstanding .381/.435/.575 in 320 at-bats against them.
Jeter has also excelled against the Pirates (.417 in 36 AB) and Rockies (.412 in 34 AB). He’s struggled against the Astros (.216 in 37 AB) and Cubs (.217 in 23 AB).
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)