Edinson Volquez gets sent down to AAA. Again.

Jul 7, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT

volquez getty Getty Images

I wonder what the record is for an Opening Day starter getting sent down to the minors in a single season.  It’s happened to Reds’ Opening Day starter Edinson Volquez twice now, so he’s probably in the running for that dubious mark.

Volquez has had a bear of a year. He’s sporting a 5.93 ERA in 16 starts, and has allowed 84 hits and 55 walks in 85 innings.  They suspicion is that Dontrelle Willis — who has been held out of starts down in Louisville for a few days now so that he’d be ready for the big club — will take Volquez’s next turn this weekend.
  1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Seriously, Dontrelle Willis? You know what, I will be glad to see the D-Train back in the big leagues. Good luck to him. On a more serious note, do you guys think that Volquez was suffering from the same sun flower seed problem that was plaguing Chapman?

2. bobulated - Jul 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM

That Hamilton trade looks better for the Reds everyday.

3. purdueman - Jul 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Hawk Harrelson commented on the demotion on tonight’s pre-game show; he said: “He Gone!” :-o

4. metalhead65 - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:55 PM

well that is good news! now if they just keep him down there untill he shows that he can be a complete and consistent pitcher. I am sick of hearing what nasty stuff he has then seeing him go 5 innings 6 max. while giving up that many runs and walks. there is a reason the rangers wanted to get rid of him and it is on the back of his baseball card.look at the ERA he had and yet the reds thought it would be a good idea to trade a everyday mvp player for that? one of the worst deals in the history of baseball. this clown will be lucky to win 20 more games in his career let alone be a 20 game winner. willis has shown he is willing to do what it takes to be a big leager again and I wish him well. he can’t be worse than volquez.

• metalhead65 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:39 AM

how can any reasonable person give this a thumbs down? what did I say that was not correct? I am a lifelong reds fan who would like nothing more for him to prove me wrong, but except for first half before the all star game in 2008 he has done nothing. frankly I am sick of hearing about that as evidence of what a great pitcher he can be. I wonder if the stuff he got poped for taking while rehabbing his shoulder had anything to do with that great start? anyway how can you say that this was not a one sided deal? Josh Hamilton MVP,volquez demoted to the minors yet again and the other guys the reds got in the deal are no longer with the club. so how again was this not a horrible trade for the reds?

5. hoopmatch - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Did anyone notice that Volquez had shoulder-length hair when he was sent to the minors the first time and returned with a buzz cut?

I guess that didn’t work for him.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4079)