Jul 7, 2011, 11:33 PM EDT
Terrible news out of Arlington, Texas.
According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram‘s Drew Davison, a man who fell 20 feet onto a concrete level Thursday evening at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington has been pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan addressed the media shortly after the conclusion of Thursday’s game against the A’s, expressing “deep sadness” on behalf of the entire organization and its fans.
More from Davison and the Star-Telegram:
The fan tumbled over the railing at approximately 7:30 p.m. after asking Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton for a foul ball hit by Oakland outfielder Conor Jackson in the top of the second inning. Hamilton tossed the ball up to him, he leaned over and caught it and then went headfirst into the gap between the seats and out-of-town scoreboard.
The man has not currently been identified. Witnesses say he was a firefighter from Brownwood, Texas and was attending the game with his son, who looked to be around six or eight years old.
Several players who witnessed the fall were visibly shaken when informed of the news after the game.
UPDATE: More details on this awful incident can be found here.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)