Man dies after falling from stands at Rangers Ballpark

Jul 7, 2011, 11:33 PM EDT

New York Mets v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Terrible news out of Arlington, Texas.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram‘s Drew Davison, a man who fell 20 feet onto a concrete level Thursday evening at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington has been pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan addressed the media shortly after the conclusion of Thursday’s game against the A’s, expressing “deep sadness” on behalf of the entire organization and its fans.

More from Davison and the Star-Telegram:

The fan tumbled over the railing at approximately 7:30 p.m. after asking Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton for a foul ball hit by Oakland outfielder Conor Jackson in the top of the second inning. Hamilton tossed the ball up to him, he leaned over and caught it and then went headfirst into the gap between the seats and out-of-town scoreboard.

The man has not currently been identified. Witnesses say he was a firefighter from Brownwood, Texas and was attending the game with his son, who looked to be around six or eight years old.

Several players who witnessed the fall were visibly shaken when informed of the news after the game.

UPDATE:  More details on this awful incident can be found here.

1. stoutfiles - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM

That’s horrible. Feel bad for his kid.

2. Richard In Big D - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Opening Day 2010, top of the 7th, Josh makes one of his trademark catches, crashing into
    the centerfield wall for the 3rd out. Josh looks up into the stands, zeroes in on my son in the front row of the bleachers, and tosses the ball up to him. That ball is one of my boy’s most cherished posessions. I can’t imagine how awful it would be to have such a magical moment turn so tragic. Prayers to the family, especially the little boy that had to witness this horrific event.

• hittfamily - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM

What kind of bastard goes thumbs down on this

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Apparently several heartless ones.

3. amr5026 - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM

My condolences to the kid and the rest of his family. I can’t imagine how he feels. — On a side note: Isn’t this the second fire fighter to fall over the railing in Arlington in the last two seasons?

4. trbowman - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Josh Hamilton is about to relapse.

RIP.

• Richard In Big D - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM

You’re an idiot.

• Richard In Big D - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I’m sure that Johnny Narron handcuffed himself to Josh immediately after the game. He may have an urge to relapse, but it won’t happen. Look for Nolan and Josh to visit the family, and who knows what else to try and console them, do the right thing. And if Harrelson ever has a little grease fire in his kitchen, look for the house to be reduced to cinders before the first fire truck shows up.

• stinkfist5 - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I hope not… sticky situation

5. jjschiller - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

You are a genuinely terrible person. First I thought you’ were just a race-baiting bigot. Turns out you’re so much more.

• jjschiller - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

This clown has soliloquyed on Asian ball players, “jew lawyers,” and now thinks a firefighter dying in front of his young son at a baseball game is funny.

Stay classy.

• kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Second.

6. monkeyjuice313 - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Did you just say “He Gone” a couple of hours after a man died? What kind of classless comment is that? Why would you try and be funny in an article about a man who died? I wouldn’t even wish that on you, and you’re a douche.

• dan1111 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:43 AM

You showed a total lack of compassion for someone who just died; you have lashed out at everyone who justly criticized this; and now you are lecturing others about being “at all a Christian person”?

As a Christian myself, I would like just like to say that you are being a poor representative of the faith of Jesus Christ.

• monkeyjuice313 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Before people think my comment is ignorant; Someone used a quote from Hawk Harleson to describe his gentleman’s death, and I gave him my 2 cents.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM

No worries…the jagoff that is purdueman has been banned and the filth that he spewed has been removed. This isn’t the only site he has contaminated, and hopefully the others are not far behind.

7. amr5026 - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

This “one feak accident” has now happened twice at Arlington in two season. Maybe the should design better barriers? I haven’t seen them personally, but there must be some sort of design flaw there. I don’t ever remember hearing this sort of thing anywhere else.

• hittfamily - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I saw the sugar bowl in 1999 when FSU beat VA Tech. I sat first row, 2nd deck. The barrier was was below my waist, and since it was a dome, the stairs were almost 45 degrees. At halftime, they shot out shirts, and I could have sworn someone was going over. The barriers are there to meet safety codes, and nothing else. But the safety codes are most likely not written for people trying to reach out.

Right there with you, there is a design flaw. The local codes are written for balconies and parks, not stadiums.

• Richard In Big D - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM

This is actually at least the third such incident at this ballpark. Opening Day 1994, the inaugural game here, a girl sat up on the rail in the upper deck in right field to have a picture taken, and fell backwards and down. Before the next homestand, all rails were raised and cables installed to prevent falling THROUGH the rail. As far as I know, no further incidents until the one last year. And then, today…

8. 1paulkemp1 - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I watched this happen live on TV, and now feel slightly disturbed. The man had his son right next to him, trying to accomplish the most innocent of things, catch a baseball, undoubtedly for his son. The fall looked harmless at first until the camera panned out and you could see just how far he fell; and to see his son, along with other fans looking down, helpless. Very sad, my condolences to the family….

• saucepaws - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM

You’re such a piece of crap purdueman to even write something like that. Again, this is a baseball blog, hence why a story about a man dying at a baseball game is reported here. Your little example of a boy getting hit by a car is just out of line and completely out of context. Take your god crap to fox news or some other fear mongering outlet that will make you feel like a better person for writing about your belief in the “good lord”. It has no place here on this site, and is especially inappropriate to this post. I truly hope you realize what a clown you are, but I think you’re too far gone for that to ever happen.

• kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM

No friends of yours here ‘Purdue’

9. saucepaws - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:07 AM

purdueman – get the hell off your religious high horse and pull your head out of your ass. Reading your comments on this story only confirms you to be a total dimwit. How you managed to get a rant about “jew laywers” through the moderators is beyond me, but you sir, are exactly what jj says…a terrible person. Get lost scumbag.

• saucepaws - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Your religious views and/or your views on what you call “reality” have no place here, so shut up or take them elsewhere.

• cshearing - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM

The realities of life, like some invisible man in the sky calling your number? BTW, Jesus was a Jew.

Feel horrible for the guy and his family, and also for Hamilton.

• jya87 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:46 AM

This is incredibly deflating news. Grieving for that family.

And purdueman, Jesus didn’t come into this world to stoically tell everyone to “deal with reality.” He wept over the pain He saw, and compassionately healed the lame, restored the sight of the blind, and cleansed the lepers.

Apologies to all offended. Christians are called to live quietly, tending to the hurt in this world, and unfortunately many of us are misguided in our efforts to respond to that call.

10. ghostshock - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM

You really should not bring your religion or thoughts about god into this. It’s flat-out offensive.

Try telling that boy that your god thought it was time for his dad to go.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Terrible story. Obviously it should have been purdueman but generally speaking cockroaches find a way to survive. We can only hope his good Lord of myths and legends calls him home to the incestual KKK meeting from whence he came by tomorrow. Then our only great hope for his kind is that he has a daughter who marries a wonderful Jewish attorney and lives happily ever after.

12. purpleronin - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I would think if “God” had the time to bother himself with this situation he would have interceded to save the man, not let him die right in front of his son would’nt you? I mean would’nt that make him a good “God”, not a cruel and mercilous “god” ? I think there are those among us who make god out to be cruel and heartless in events such as these, so that they (like purdueman) dont feel so horribly and utterly inhuman. But the truth is if your truly piuos and a believer it would be insulting and blasphemous to say god had anything to do with this. i mean couldnt it have been the Devil with his evil trickery?

13. kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM

“Thumbs up” who wants Purdueman barred from this place. Not sure about the rest of you, but i don’t come on here to read his objectionable filth.

• kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM

How charming. I might just come across that money your parents flushed on your education if this is the case.

• cur68 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I just read all of this and am utterly amazed, purdue. By god but you are a wanker aren’t you? Hell, you make wankers look good, you are such a loser. Don’t give me that bollocks about kids dying of cancer being worse than this tragedy. I’ve seen more life and death in a week at work than you’ll ever see in your life. No god or higher power ‘called this poor man home’ or any of the 22 infants I’ve seen pass, either. He had an accident and died just the same as my patients who were born far too soon or too ill. It’s the same. Exactly the same; a senseless random tragedy in the midst of what should have been a happy time.

I am sick to death of you, you prick. You seem to know a little about baseball but you know nothing about being a person. Do us all a favor you scatological tool, flush yourself next time.

• marinersnate - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:15 AM

I guess this is what happens when one strives to become a Big Ten ‘intellectual’….

@Cur

If memory serves me, a few monthes ago when you and a few other posters proved him wrong (forget the subject now) wasn’t his response:

“Make the world a better place, punch Cur68 in the face”?

14. aceshigh11 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM

What awful news.

Condolences to the family. Hopefully Hamilton stays strong through this difficult time and doesn’t blame himself.

And I cannot believe what unimaginable filth has been posted in this thread. What is WRONG with you people?

If EVER there was a time to just shut up, stop the “tough-guy-on-the-internet” posturing, and just offer some simple human compassion and decency, THIS is it.

No wonder I’m a misanthrope.

15. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:42 AM

I have banned the commenter Purdueman and have deleted his comments from this thread. To put it in words he might understand: He gone.

I give commenters a huge amount of latitude here. But not a blank slate. I shouldn’t have to tell anyone this, but let me say it again: racism, antisemitism, misogyny, gay-bashing and other excessive personal attacks are not acceptable.

• jjschiller - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Craig, I’m sorry I brought up his previous disgressions. I guess I baited him, and made more problems for you.

• monkeyjuice313 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

No, he made a gross, classless comment. No bait there.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Hey man, leave Hawkisms out of this. He did nothin’ wrong here. I’m glad I missed the ilk that was spread on this board. From the responses, it must have been pretty terrible crap.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Thank you, Craig. I jumped on the site today wondering how I might go about asking that his comments might be deleted. I should have known you’d be ahead of the game.

16. Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Craig, either the “delete” button on your master page isn’t working or you didn’t use enough disinfectant. Still a lot of Purdueman’s slime trail left up above.

17. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM

There has been quite a trend of sad stories coming out of baseball games this year. I didn’t see this happen last night, and I’m glad I didn’t. I feel sorry for anyone that witnessed this, Josh Hamilton (who must be feeling a lot of guilt right now), but most of all, the family of the brave figherfighter who lost his life trying to make his son’s game a memorable one. I’m sure it now will be for all of the wrong reasons. Rest in peace sir. Rest in peace.

All the trade deadline news to know