Jul 7, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Davis allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits and three walks over five innings in a no-decision against the Twins yesterday. The Rays inked the 25-year-old right-hander to a long-term contract extension at the end of spring training, but he has largely been a disappointment so far this season. Davis is 7-6 with a 4.25 ERA and 47/38 K/BB ratio over 103 2/3 innings.
The Rays have called up right-hander Brandon Gomes to give them an extra bullpen arm this weekend against the Yankees, but Alex Cobb or Andy Sonnanstine would presumably be the candidates to fill Davis’ spot in the starting rotation following the All-Star break. Davis is eligible to return from the disabled list on July 22, so it’s possible he will only have to miss one start.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 43
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)