Jul 7, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Davis allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits and three walks over five innings in a no-decision against the Twins yesterday. The Rays inked the 25-year-old right-hander to a long-term contract extension at the end of spring training, but he has largely been a disappointment so far this season. Davis is 7-6 with a 4.25 ERA and 47/38 K/BB ratio over 103 2/3 innings.
The Rays have called up right-hander Brandon Gomes to give them an extra bullpen arm this weekend against the Yankees, but Alex Cobb or Andy Sonnanstine would presumably be the candidates to fill Davis’ spot in the starting rotation following the All-Star break. Davis is eligible to return from the disabled list on July 22, so it’s possible he will only have to miss one start.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (91)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (84)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)