Jul 7, 2011, 11:02 AM EST
A Zack Cozart is registered at Reds team hotel. Could be [an] odd coincidence, I suppose.
Ruling out the one-in-a-million chance that it actually is an odd coincidence and there’s another “Zack Cozart” staying at the Reds’ team hotel this weekend in Milwaukee, it sounds as though the Cincinnati front office has finally given in and promoted the promising 25-year-old shortstop from Triple-A Louisville.
Cozart has hit .310/.357/.467 with seven home runs, 26 doubles and 32 RBI in 77 games this season for the Louisville Bats. He’s also stolen nine bases in 11 attempts while playing adequate defense.
Success isn’t going to come easy for the first-time major leaguer, but Cozart only has to outplay Paul Janish, who is batting .227/.259/.271, and Edgar Renteria, who is hitting .229/.304/.271, to make himself an everyday presence in Cincinnati’s inconsistent starting lineup.
The Reds were able to squeak out a 9-8 extra-innings victory in St. Louis on Wednesday but enter Thursday’s action with a disappointing 44-44 record. They need to get it going, and Cozart can help make that happen.
UPDATE, 12:39 PM: Yonder Alonso, a teammate of Cozart’s at Triple-A Louisville, has confirmed that the shortstop is on his way to Milwaukee. The move should be made official before Thursday night’s game.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)