Jul 7, 2011, 11:02 AM EST
A Zack Cozart is registered at Reds team hotel. Could be [an] odd coincidence, I suppose.
Ruling out the one-in-a-million chance that it actually is an odd coincidence and there’s another “Zack Cozart” staying at the Reds’ team hotel this weekend in Milwaukee, it sounds as though the Cincinnati front office has finally given in and promoted the promising 25-year-old shortstop from Triple-A Louisville.
Cozart has hit .310/.357/.467 with seven home runs, 26 doubles and 32 RBI in 77 games this season for the Louisville Bats. He’s also stolen nine bases in 11 attempts while playing adequate defense.
Success isn’t going to come easy for the first-time major leaguer, but Cozart only has to outplay Paul Janish, who is batting .227/.259/.271, and Edgar Renteria, who is hitting .229/.304/.271, to make himself an everyday presence in Cincinnati’s inconsistent starting lineup.
The Reds were able to squeak out a 9-8 extra-innings victory in St. Louis on Wednesday but enter Thursday’s action with a disappointing 44-44 record. They need to get it going, and Cozart can help make that happen.
UPDATE, 12:39 PM: Yonder Alonso, a teammate of Cozart’s at Triple-A Louisville, has confirmed that the shortstop is on his way to Milwaukee. The move should be made official before Thursday night’s game.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 34
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)