Jul 7, 2011, 11:02 AM EST
A Zack Cozart is registered at Reds team hotel. Could be [an] odd coincidence, I suppose.
Ruling out the one-in-a-million chance that it actually is an odd coincidence and there’s another “Zack Cozart” staying at the Reds’ team hotel this weekend in Milwaukee, it sounds as though the Cincinnati front office has finally given in and promoted the promising 25-year-old shortstop from Triple-A Louisville.
Cozart has hit .310/.357/.467 with seven home runs, 26 doubles and 32 RBI in 77 games this season for the Louisville Bats. He’s also stolen nine bases in 11 attempts while playing adequate defense.
Success isn’t going to come easy for the first-time major leaguer, but Cozart only has to outplay Paul Janish, who is batting .227/.259/.271, and Edgar Renteria, who is hitting .229/.304/.271, to make himself an everyday presence in Cincinnati’s inconsistent starting lineup.
The Reds were able to squeak out a 9-8 extra-innings victory in St. Louis on Wednesday but enter Thursday’s action with a disappointing 44-44 record. They need to get it going, and Cozart can help make that happen.
UPDATE, 12:39 PM: Yonder Alonso, a teammate of Cozart’s at Triple-A Louisville, has confirmed that the shortstop is on his way to Milwaukee. The move should be made official before Thursday night’s game.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)