Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Remember when Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported earlier this week that the Mets could be poised to make a “substantial offer” to Jose Reyes? Well, it appears those talks may already be underway.
Multiple sources tell Mike Puma of the New York Post that indications are the Mets have begun or will soon begin “secret talks” with Reyes’ representatives in hopes of reaching an agreement on a new contract in the coming weeks. My question is, how can it be a secret if I’m telling you about it right now?
Of course, we heard last month that Reyes didn’t want to negotiate a new contract during the season, but one source told Puma that it was likely a “smokescreen,” devised to protect the player and organization from fielding daily questions about the situation. I’m not sure a strategy like that can actually work in New York City, especially with a player as popular as Reyes, but I’ll bite.
For what it’s worth, Chris Leible, one of Reyes’ agents and Sandy Alderson have both issued denials of this story. But, hey, if these talks really are a secret, isn’t that exactly what they are supposed to say? The conspiracy lives on.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)