Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Remember when Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported earlier this week that the Mets could be poised to make a “substantial offer” to Jose Reyes? Well, it appears those talks may already be underway.
Multiple sources tell Mike Puma of the New York Post that indications are the Mets have begun or will soon begin “secret talks” with Reyes’ representatives in hopes of reaching an agreement on a new contract in the coming weeks. My question is, how can it be a secret if I’m telling you about it right now?
Of course, we heard last month that Reyes didn’t want to negotiate a new contract during the season, but one source told Puma that it was likely a “smokescreen,” devised to protect the player and organization from fielding daily questions about the situation. I’m not sure a strategy like that can actually work in New York City, especially with a player as popular as Reyes, but I’ll bite.
For what it’s worth, Chris Leible, one of Reyes’ agents and Sandy Alderson have both issued denials of this story. But, hey, if these talks really are a secret, isn’t that exactly what they are supposed to say? The conspiracy lives on.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)