Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Remember when Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported earlier this week that the Mets could be poised to make a “substantial offer” to Jose Reyes? Well, it appears those talks may already be underway.
Multiple sources tell Mike Puma of the New York Post that indications are the Mets have begun or will soon begin “secret talks” with Reyes’ representatives in hopes of reaching an agreement on a new contract in the coming weeks. My question is, how can it be a secret if I’m telling you about it right now?
Of course, we heard last month that Reyes didn’t want to negotiate a new contract during the season, but one source told Puma that it was likely a “smokescreen,” devised to protect the player and organization from fielding daily questions about the situation. I’m not sure a strategy like that can actually work in New York City, especially with a player as popular as Reyes, but I’ll bite.
For what it’s worth, Chris Leible, one of Reyes’ agents and Sandy Alderson have both issued denials of this story. But, hey, if these talks really are a secret, isn’t that exactly what they are supposed to say? The conspiracy lives on.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)