Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
The Rockies are down another outfielder after rookie Charlie Blackmon suffered a fractured foot sliding into third base in the third inning of Thursday’s game against the Braves.
Blackmon got off to a scorching start afer making his major league debut last month, at one point stealing a base in five straight games. After 10 games, he was hitting .410. However, he was just 9-for-59 since, dropping his average to .250. Also, he had totaled a mere two extra-base hits and three walks in 98 at-bats overall and he hadn’t stolen a base since his streak ended.
So, while it hurts the Rockies to be down another player, Blackmon shouldn’t prove to be all that much of a loss. Cole Garner will likely rejoin the team Friday when Blackmon is placed on the disabled list.
The Rockies also have the option of bringing back Dexter Fowler, but Fowler is hitting just .222/.344/.321 in 20 games for Triple-A Colorado Springs. What they’ll likely do is give Ty Wigginton more time in the outfield, with Ian Stewart filling in at third base.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)