Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
The Rockies are down another outfielder after rookie Charlie Blackmon suffered a fractured foot sliding into third base in the third inning of Thursday’s game against the Braves.
Blackmon got off to a scorching start afer making his major league debut last month, at one point stealing a base in five straight games. After 10 games, he was hitting .410. However, he was just 9-for-59 since, dropping his average to .250. Also, he had totaled a mere two extra-base hits and three walks in 98 at-bats overall and he hadn’t stolen a base since his streak ended.
So, while it hurts the Rockies to be down another player, Blackmon shouldn’t prove to be all that much of a loss. Cole Garner will likely rejoin the team Friday when Blackmon is placed on the disabled list.
The Rockies also have the option of bringing back Dexter Fowler, but Fowler is hitting just .222/.344/.321 in 20 games for Triple-A Colorado Springs. What they’ll likely do is give Ty Wigginton more time in the outfield, with Ian Stewart filling in at third base.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (119)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights