Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
The Rockies are down another outfielder after rookie Charlie Blackmon suffered a fractured foot sliding into third base in the third inning of Thursday’s game against the Braves.
Blackmon got off to a scorching start afer making his major league debut last month, at one point stealing a base in five straight games. After 10 games, he was hitting .410. However, he was just 9-for-59 since, dropping his average to .250. Also, he had totaled a mere two extra-base hits and three walks in 98 at-bats overall and he hadn’t stolen a base since his streak ended.
So, while it hurts the Rockies to be down another player, Blackmon shouldn’t prove to be all that much of a loss. Cole Garner will likely rejoin the team Friday when Blackmon is placed on the disabled list.
The Rockies also have the option of bringing back Dexter Fowler, but Fowler is hitting just .222/.344/.321 in 20 games for Triple-A Colorado Springs. What they’ll likely do is give Ty Wigginton more time in the outfield, with Ian Stewart filling in at third base.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)