Jul 7, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to beat writer Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, an MRI taken Thursday on Baker’s throwing elbow showed a mild flexor muscle strain.
The Twins have already scratched him from his next scheduled start and will ask Anthony Swarzak to take the mound in his place Sunday afternoon against the White Sox. A 25-year-old former second-round pick, Swarzak has posted a decent 3.71 ERA and 1.32 WHIP in 34 major league innings this season. He threw six innings of two-run ball in his last start.
Baker has not been put on the disabled list and might be able to avoid it altogether with the All-Star break now just days away. The 29-year-old has a 3.01 ERA and 1.17 WHIP through his first 17 outings this season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)