Jul 7, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to beat writer Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, an MRI taken Thursday on Baker’s throwing elbow showed a mild flexor muscle strain.
The Twins have already scratched him from his next scheduled start and will ask Anthony Swarzak to take the mound in his place Sunday afternoon against the White Sox. A 25-year-old former second-round pick, Swarzak has posted a decent 3.71 ERA and 1.32 WHIP in 34 major league innings this season. He threw six innings of two-run ball in his last start.
Baker has not been put on the disabled list and might be able to avoid it altogether with the All-Star break now just days away. The 29-year-old has a 3.01 ERA and 1.17 WHIP through his first 17 outings this season.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)