Jul 7, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo underwent surgery on his fractured left thumb during the last week of June. We’re only about 10 days in, but his recovery so far has been free of any hiccups.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo had the cast removed from his surgically-repaired thumb on Wednesday and is “telling friends” that he could be ready for full-time action by the second week of August.
An early-August return would be wonderful, but it also seems highly doubtful. Choo’s injury was not of the minor variety and the surgery wasn’t either.
More from Hoynes and the Plain Dealer:
It took three hours for Dr. Thomas Graham to repair Choo’s broken left thumb after he was hit by a Jonathan Sanchez pitch June 24. The bone reportedly shattered like glass and had to be reconstructed.
Anytime “bone” and “reconstructed” share the same sentence, it’s a frightening situation. And while Choo might feel improved 10 days into his rehab, there are still quite a few hurdles he’s going to have to climb. There was even some talk at the time of the injury that the South Korean might miss the rest of the season.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)