Jul 7, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo underwent surgery on his fractured left thumb during the last week of June. We’re only about 10 days in, but his recovery so far has been free of any hiccups.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo had the cast removed from his surgically-repaired thumb on Wednesday and is “telling friends” that he could be ready for full-time action by the second week of August.
An early-August return would be wonderful, but it also seems highly doubtful. Choo’s injury was not of the minor variety and the surgery wasn’t either.
More from Hoynes and the Plain Dealer:
It took three hours for Dr. Thomas Graham to repair Choo’s broken left thumb after he was hit by a Jonathan Sanchez pitch June 24. The bone reportedly shattered like glass and had to be reconstructed.
Anytime “bone” and “reconstructed” share the same sentence, it’s a frightening situation. And while Choo might feel improved 10 days into his rehab, there are still quite a few hurdles he’s going to have to climb. There was even some talk at the time of the injury that the South Korean might miss the rest of the season.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)