Jul 7, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo underwent surgery on his fractured left thumb during the last week of June. We’re only about 10 days in, but his recovery so far has been free of any hiccups.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo had the cast removed from his surgically-repaired thumb on Wednesday and is “telling friends” that he could be ready for full-time action by the second week of August.
An early-August return would be wonderful, but it also seems highly doubtful. Choo’s injury was not of the minor variety and the surgery wasn’t either.
More from Hoynes and the Plain Dealer:
It took three hours for Dr. Thomas Graham to repair Choo’s broken left thumb after he was hit by a Jonathan Sanchez pitch June 24. The bone reportedly shattered like glass and had to be reconstructed.
Anytime “bone” and “reconstructed” share the same sentence, it’s a frightening situation. And while Choo might feel improved 10 days into his rehab, there are still quite a few hurdles he’s going to have to climb. There was even some talk at the time of the injury that the South Korean might miss the rest of the season.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)