Jul 7, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com put together a pretty entertaining “investigative report” on Wednesday afternoon concerning the recent, and suddenly more frequent, appearance of a certain cardboard cutout in the White Sox clubhouse.
The Most Interesting Man In The World, a popular character created by the beer company Dos Equis, has begun showing his face around the locker rooms of U.S Cellular Field after White Sox victories. In the form of six-foot tall cardboard poster.
Perhaps Garfien should explain:
It’s a life-size cardboard cut-out of the man, who has quickly become the team’s unofficial mascot, carefully placed in the player of the night’s locker after every Sox victory. You’ll often find him repeatedly leering over the shoulders of Paul Konerko, Jake Peavy, Juan Pierre, etc., staring eerily into every TV camera pointed in his direction.
He is the life of parties he’s never attended.
He’s won trophies for his game face alone.
He can speak French, in Russian.
And as reliever Sergio Santos so eloquently put it, “He doesn’t always drink beer, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis.”
The White Sox have gone 32-24 since opening the season with a dreadful 11-21 record and currently sit only 4 1/2 games back of the Indians for first place in the American League Central. It’s almost as if the Pale Hose opened the season 10 games under .500 … just to see what it would be like.
Anybody? Anybody? Stay thirsty, my friends.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)