Jul 7, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com put together a pretty entertaining “investigative report” on Wednesday afternoon concerning the recent, and suddenly more frequent, appearance of a certain cardboard cutout in the White Sox clubhouse.
The Most Interesting Man In The World, a popular character created by the beer company Dos Equis, has begun showing his face around the locker rooms of U.S Cellular Field after White Sox victories. In the form of six-foot tall cardboard poster.
Perhaps Garfien should explain:
It’s a life-size cardboard cut-out of the man, who has quickly become the team’s unofficial mascot, carefully placed in the player of the night’s locker after every Sox victory. You’ll often find him repeatedly leering over the shoulders of Paul Konerko, Jake Peavy, Juan Pierre, etc., staring eerily into every TV camera pointed in his direction.
He is the life of parties he’s never attended.
He’s won trophies for his game face alone.
He can speak French, in Russian.
And as reliever Sergio Santos so eloquently put it, “He doesn’t always drink beer, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis.”
The White Sox have gone 32-24 since opening the season with a dreadful 11-21 record and currently sit only 4 1/2 games back of the Indians for first place in the American League Central. It’s almost as if the Pale Hose opened the season 10 games under .500 … just to see what it would be like.
Anybody? Anybody? Stay thirsty, my friends.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)