Jul 7, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com put together a pretty entertaining “investigative report” on Wednesday afternoon concerning the recent, and suddenly more frequent, appearance of a certain cardboard cutout in the White Sox clubhouse.
The Most Interesting Man In The World, a popular character created by the beer company Dos Equis, has begun showing his face around the locker rooms of U.S Cellular Field after White Sox victories. In the form of six-foot tall cardboard poster.
Perhaps Garfien should explain:
It’s a life-size cardboard cut-out of the man, who has quickly become the team’s unofficial mascot, carefully placed in the player of the night’s locker after every Sox victory. You’ll often find him repeatedly leering over the shoulders of Paul Konerko, Jake Peavy, Juan Pierre, etc., staring eerily into every TV camera pointed in his direction.
He is the life of parties he’s never attended.
He’s won trophies for his game face alone.
He can speak French, in Russian.
And as reliever Sergio Santos so eloquently put it, “He doesn’t always drink beer, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis.”
The White Sox have gone 32-24 since opening the season with a dreadful 11-21 record and currently sit only 4 1/2 games back of the Indians for first place in the American League Central. It’s almost as if the Pale Hose opened the season 10 games under .500 … just to see what it would be like.
Anybody? Anybody? Stay thirsty, my friends.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)