Jul 8, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Rodriguez, who originally injured the knee June 19 in a game against the Cubs, will be joined on the bench by Nick Swisher, who is nursing a tender left quad.
Manager Joe Girardi said the test is precautionary, but he wasn’t sure whether Rodriguez would play Saturday.
It’s looking more and more likely that Alex Rodriguez will join Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter in sitting out the All-Star Game. If so, Adrian Beltre will start for the AL squad. Kevin Youkilis would be the obvious choice to step into the open roster spot.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games