Jul 8, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Rodriguez, who originally injured the knee June 19 in a game against the Cubs, will be joined on the bench by Nick Swisher, who is nursing a tender left quad.
Manager Joe Girardi said the test is precautionary, but he wasn’t sure whether Rodriguez would play Saturday.
It’s looking more and more likely that Alex Rodriguez will join Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter in sitting out the All-Star Game. If so, Adrian Beltre will start for the AL squad. Kevin Youkilis would be the obvious choice to step into the open roster spot.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 86
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 92
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (192)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (93)