Jul 8, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Rodriguez, who originally injured the knee June 19 in a game against the Cubs, will be joined on the bench by Nick Swisher, who is nursing a tender left quad.
Manager Joe Girardi said the test is precautionary, but he wasn’t sure whether Rodriguez would play Saturday.
It’s looking more and more likely that Alex Rodriguez will join Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter in sitting out the All-Star Game. If so, Adrian Beltre will start for the AL squad. Kevin Youkilis would be the obvious choice to step into the open roster spot.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)