Jul 8, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Rodriguez, who originally injured the knee June 19 in a game against the Cubs, will be joined on the bench by Nick Swisher, who is nursing a tender left quad.
Manager Joe Girardi said the test is precautionary, but he wasn’t sure whether Rodriguez would play Saturday.
It’s looking more and more likely that Alex Rodriguez will join Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter in sitting out the All-Star Game. If so, Adrian Beltre will start for the AL squad. Kevin Youkilis would be the obvious choice to step into the open roster spot.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)