And now a few words about comments at HBT

Jul 8, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

megaphone

A bit of housekeeping. This time about comments.

One thing I take a bit of pride in is that, for a large website, our comments are pretty good. Oh, sure, there’s some jackassery going on below the fold in every post — and if you simply don’t like comments on blogs on general principle, the HBT comments aren’t so different that they’re going to change your mind — but they’re pretty solid. They tend to be on topic. They’re often pretty funny. It ain’t the Algonquin Roundtable, but I’d put their quality up against what you see at some other major sports websites and would be pretty confident that HBT’s are a cut above.

When I woke up this morning and read the thread about the fan’s death at The Ballpark in Arlington, however, I was pretty disappointed to see that a commenter had left some pretty offensive stuff.  It’s gone now — I deleted his comments and banned the commenter — but I’m pretty angry about it all the same. This wasn’t some guy who surfed on and left a one-shot jerk comment. It was someone who has been around here a while.

Our commenting rules are pretty permissive. We don’t shoot down comments or ban commenters simply for being idiots. Or for using bad language. Or for being insensitive or controversial. It’s actually good when people argue or disagree about things or when others are taken out of their comfort zone. That’s when you learn things. And no one has the right to go through life without having their sensibilities offended from time to time. So the last thing I want is for some phony level politeness, some hyper-orthodoxy or some brand of groupthink to rule the comments. Mix it up, and if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

But there are some simple rules that should go without saying. I’ll say them anyway. I won’t tolerate the following:

• Racism;
  • Misogyny;
  • Homophobia or gay bashing;
  • Antisemitism;
  • Excessive personal attacks on other commenters.

This doesn’t mean you can’t talk about religion, homosexuality or gender issues. It doesn’t mean you can’t be critical of other commenters. And an honest slip-up, a poor attempt at humor, sharp irony or a simple misunderstanding among commenters that touches on these things will be given latitude because we all make a mistake from time to time.

But I will not tolerate this stuff when it is clear, has no redeeming value and especially when it is infused with ire.  You’ve all been to school or have jobs. You know what flies in a social setting and what doesn’t. And if you ignore that — or simply can’t figure it out — your contributions aren’t really wanted around here anyway.

I don’t ban people often, but I will ban you for these sorts of transgressions. You don’t get three strikes. You don’t necessarily even get a warning. There is no formal appeals process. Behave yourselves, or be gone. It’s pretty simple.

Sincerely,

The Management

103 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bleedgreen - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I don’t ban people often… but when I do, I prefer Purdueman.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Purdueman had it coming for a long time. He posts on the cousin blogs as well and it is always the same nonsense. He knows nothing about the sport in question and only surfaces to agitate and wind people up.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Ha… I literally started reading that sentence, too, and this was going thru my mind “ooooh, c’mon… Dos Equis reference…. awww”

• jimbo1949 - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Yeah Craig, but what happens when he comes back crying in a couple of days and says he’s seen the light and promises to be good?
      I was angry last night because of what this troll said. Rather than feed his ego I walked away, although it was hard to do. I’m happy with the way you handled this, for now.
      I really enjoy the articles and some of the comments, including the good natured ribbing between the regulars. But the commenters who are anti-social trolls, start flame wars attacking others whom they don’t even know, just to get their jollies, is where I have to draw the line.
      We don’t have to like everybody, just respect them.

• skerney - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

i started to act like purdueman didn’t exist. the other day i was just making general observations and he swooped in and laid into me like I was a sworn enemy. said some out of left field stuff about me that was just ignorant and mean. i didn’t do a little dance when bicepts was in the penalty box, but i am now.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Chickenboy came after me a couple of times. ME! At my desktop! Where my dog comes to sleep and play with her toys! Good to have family business taken care of.

2. crispybasil - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Well said, Craig.

Calcaterra 2012?

3. deanmoriarity - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM

So misandry is ok? Because as a Tigers fan, Brandon Inge’s VORP really makes me hate men.

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

…but you don’t hate him for being a man, if is VORP (or some modern version of it) was decent, you wouldn’t hate him, right? I think it is okay to be VORPist or WARist.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Dean, blow the horn and tap the tambourine. Maybe you’ll get lucky and George Shearing will be playing at the next roadhouse. And try easing up on the gas before Sal gets carsick again.

4. jjschiller - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Craig, I left a comment in the original thread, but I’m not sure you’ll go back and see it.

I’m sorry; I guess I goaded the guy. He was being a run-of-the-mill jerk, and I put him in mind of his previous bigoted transgressions. That’s when he got all defensive, and, I guess, offensive.

I know he obviously was the one who started spewing filth, but I’m sorry I made more work and worry for you.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Nonsense. No one can make someone be a jackass. It doesn’t matter what the excuse is.You’re good.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Give me any right-winger for twenty minutes. I’ll make a jackass out of him.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Gator, I’d say something about whether you actually need to make them one, but that would just open a can of worms…or Pandora’s box…or something.

• opiedamus - Jul 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Craig: my wife says that what you said is completely wrong. Apparently, I am the one that makes her act like a jackass. If it weren’t for me, she’d still be the living angel of beauty that she was disguised as when we met………

So to summarize, I, apparently, have the ability to make someone else a jackass…..shouldn’t I be a super hero?!? Maybe a 3rd Wonder Twin (Twiplet)?!?

5. trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Now let’s just hope ‘cepts behaves himself with his second chance. The guy has potential if he just uses common sense and keeps his head cool.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

He’s been a very good boy since he was let back in the other day.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Thanks again, Craig. I will not disappoint you or make you regret your decision.

Speaking about Braves/Phils this weekend, I was listening to WIP this morning and they had John Kincaid (which I assume you are familiar with) from the local FAN station in Atlanta. He’s a Philly area transplant to Atlanta and has been working in Atlanta for the last 16 years. He said that when you play the Braves, it’s basically a 7 inning game. If you don’t score by then, chances are you’re not winning facing Venters and Kimball in the 8th and 9th. He’s correct.

This should be a fun series to watch.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Hell, even Fiorentio has mellowed – some natural ripening and fermentation process not yet fully understood. It even seems to have cured his rash.

• Andrew - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM

This guy forgot the ‘t’, it’s not the real ‘bicepts!

*fires Internet flamethrower at imposter’s comment*

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Andrew,

LOL!!!! I am the Bicepts. Craig can verify.

Very funny, though.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Yeah: it’s him. If you all recall, he switched it back and forth a couple of times when he first started commenting, partially as a peculiar side effect of WordPress registration and whatnot. But that’s the real Bicep(t)s

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

No comparison between the two. ‘Bicepts knows what he is talking about….has good knowledge of baseball in general and the Phillies in particular. Purdueman was solely on this boards to agitate and spew nonsense. I got into with Purdueman over on PBT over terrible statements he made following the death of Robert “Tractor” Traylor. It was the same type of nonsense.

• kopy - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I would like to know why he is not using bicepts. The correct spelling just doesn’t have the same awesome coolness factor, and I’m being serious.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Thank you. Just keeping everything simple for now on. Common sense is the guide I’m using.

Sometimes on comment boards, it’s hard to balance between being yourself and crossing a line into someone that you’re not. But, I know now what the line is. It’s now easy going forward.

• trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM

See, it’s cool to disagree but you were taking it too far with filthy personal attacks. I do know I was taking some low blows when you truly rubbed me the wrong way saying to get back to flipping burgers or cleaning floors and for that I do apologize. I was at least keeping it pg rated.

Also, put the T back on there! You’re not fooling anybody!

• kmgannon - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

halladaysbiceps–
        It *is* hard to balance between ourselves and our “virtual personas” on comment boards. I commend you for having the insight to figure out where your line is. The reason I started using my own name as my “handle” is so I wouldn’t forget to keep on the right side of the line; In the past, I posted some stuff under a pseudonym that I very much regretted saying. I’ve figured that anything I don’t feel comfortable putting out there with my name attached to it is something that just doesn’t need to be said.

Thanks for your maturity to admit you crossed the line and to be mindful moving forward. I think it’s a great example for the rest of us.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I realized that it was stupid on my part to post like an animal on this site, with having no backbone to stand by my dumb comments. We are all fans of our own teams and get crazy when discussing them. However, I missed the daily conversation with people that I enjoyed conversing with and the tradeoff of not being a tough guy to talking to them was a no-brainer.

It’s better to be polite and get your point across as suppose to an idiot like me in the past. I’m not a veteran board message guy and had to learn the hard way. That’s life, I guess.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

trevorb06,

LOL!!! I can’t put the “T” back. I deleted the wordpress account permanently. It’s gone, along with that era. I’m the same poster. Just a different phillosophy going forward.

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

‘cepts and I have disagreed regularly, but I see no similarity between those type of disagreements/discussions and the things that go with them and the kind of idiocy regularly put forth by Purdueman. None.

6. scottj27 - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM

You make ONE little tea party joke…

• bjavie - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM

…still laughing!!

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM

This tea party knuckledragger goes into a bar and sits down next to a talking horse….

7. yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM

There is no Sergeant-at-arms here because as a group commenters have been self-policing. Even then the shout downs have been enough to control the occasional riff-raff but are a waste of time.

So, guys, let’s put on the Ritz: “Tasteful thoughts by discerning people”

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Tastefulness is your first hot pastrami sandwich in months….

• APBA Guy - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Stop it, OG. You’re making me hungry. It’s been years since I’ve had real deli.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM

That’s what I was explaining to Len yesterday at the Elm Street Bar and Grill in Oakland (New Jersey, would you believe?) and was the main reason I ordered it. Hot pastrami and rye in the New York conurbation. The real stuff. Ahhhhhh.

Then again, when I’m on the sunrise side, I jones for dungeness crab and the little lingonberry pancakes at Sears. You can’ win.

8. hermitfool - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

By the time I got my fat ass out of bed this morning all that was left of the dirtbag’s contributions were the comments of the outraged, one time I feel lucky to be out of the loop.

This site has always attracted classy, solid baseball fans as reader/contributors, which is one of the main attractions. Kudos to you, Craig, for expelling the bad guy. Sure baseball is a game played by imperfect human beings for the financial benefit of too often deeply flawed human beings(see McCourt, Frank). But for many of us the game of baseball is that corn field in Iowa where folks who love the game are happy just to play or watch.

I am always saddened when commentators feel they need to share their political opinions on this site. Politics, unless we’re discussing public financing of ball parks, should have no place here. Politics are by definition a cynical, soul deadening preoccupation, the antithesis of baseball centric thinking. Certainly there is no shortage of web sites devoted to politics for those inclined to share their opinions.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Speaking of cornfields, anyone else seen that hysterical NFL lockout goof based on Field of Dreams? Hilarious. I think there’s a link to it over on the football cousin someplace. Wait’ll you see who plays Goodell.

9. bigxrob - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Craig,
    Just curious, since the NBC sports blogs are all linked (PFT, HBT, PBT…), does your banishment block the offender from the other sites as well?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM

They’re not linked. Each blog handles its comments in its own way.

We haven’t talked about it, but my feeling is that the same sensibility that goes into the editorial decisions of the blog should go into the comments too. So for that reason, I wouldn’t dare suggest that Mike, Joe or Kurt take issue with the same things I do, or that they should tolerate the same stuff I do.

NBC gives us a ton of leeway. And I’m glad we have it.

• bleedgreen - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I’m glad you don’t need moderator approval for a comment before is posted on here. Its such a pain at PFT to respond to someone, check back 40 minutes later and you’re comment isn’t anywhere NEAR the person you were replying to because there was 34 comments awaiting approval before yours. It also makes it so that when theres an obvious joke, there ends up being 18 of the same comment repeating because no one could see the others and thought they were the first.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Great question. I was curious about that myself. I sincerely hope so.

10. hansob - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

We can still refer to Jeff Francoeur as “Frenchy”, though, right?

11. shawon0meter - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The Cubs are gonna win 40 in a row. Don’t ban me.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM

You’re not banned for that comment. Flagged, maybe, but not banned.

12. dwishinsky - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I think it speaks volumes when comments get 100+ thumbs down and are clearly offensive. It is good to see that you are responsible with making sure that needless hurtful comments are removed while still letting people earn 100+ thumbs down comments for saying stupid things like the A’s are going to turn things around this year. (I am an A’s fan – it won’t happen, that would be a stupid thing to say – before I get 100+ thumbs downs haha).

13. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Craig, as a Braves fan, I demand special treatment.

I also demand that we place a friendly “wager” on here with regards to this weekend’s Phils/Braves series. This would be between the Braves commenters (myself and chipperforever and ???, geez we are sparse, perhaps Craig needs to get in on this) vs. the Phillies commenters (J5, Utley’s Hair, Bicepts, Fiorentino, the good doc, etc. etc. etc. ).

The “wager”: if the Braves win the series (which they will), then the Phillies commenters, this Monday must end all of their comments with “GO BRAVES!”. In the unfortunate event that the Braves lose the series, us Braves fans will sign our comments…well the opposite of above b/c I’m not writing it. Kinda lame, I know, but what other wagers can you do online? Who’s in? Bring the ruckus!

PS. yes, I do know who the Phillies are starting the next three games and I’m still not scurrrrred.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I’m in on this one, El Bravo. I will gladly do so as long as you, as well as other Braves fan, do so if the Phils win the series. You have to say “GO PHILLIES!” Fair enough?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I’m in.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I’ll write it in the event the Braves lose for every comment I write on Monday. Also, it should be noted, you cannot stop commenting for the day. Comment as usual, just sign every one. I will not sign GO PH… unless I have to…it feels like punching myself in the scrote just writing that much.

like this…..

GO BRAVES!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! OWWWW! YEAH!!! (you don’t need the last woo oww yeah part but you know)

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Nothing personal guys, but despite my aversion to horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches, and egalitarianistically, despite my fondness for Craig, the Braves have about as much of a chance against the Feelies for the long haul as Bambi did against Godzilla.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Crazier things have occurred. Beachy will beat Halladay tonight. Mark. My. Words.

• spudchukar - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

OG, My good friend, and fellow Idahoan was partially responsible for the Bambi vs. Godzilla animated bit, along with its accompanying The Lone Ranger cartoon, haven’t thought about that in awhile. Lenny Bruce. Thanks.

• CJ - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

seems fair enough to me, count me in. The Mrs. is a Braves fan and she doesn’t get too see many Braves games up here in the northeast. If the Phils do go down this weekend I’ll probably hear about it for a while.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I’m in Chicago. I feel for her…I’m sure she misses the TBS old days as much as I do. I had my roommates MLB.tv but not no mo…sad days…

• Lukehart80 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The bet idea cracks me up, for some reason. I don’t much care who wins the series, but I hope the losing team’s fans follow through.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

“This would be between the Braves commenters (myself and chipperforever and ???, geez we are sparse)”

Kinda like the attendance Turner Field gets for Braves home games. Hey–oooooo.

I’m in… and if hell freezes over and the Phillies lose this series, I will even double the amount of comments I put up on Monday (from 1 per day… to 2 per day…)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I like your style as much as I dislike your rooting interests.

GO BRAVES
        GO PIE

• APBA Guy - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

It’s breakfast here, as you can tell from my comment to OG above. But I think you guys should bet horsemeat and velveeta from Genos against a dog and fried apple pie from the Varsity. I am really hungry. Really.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Eat a Fullbar now. Grab a BART train to Union Square. The Fullbar will help you refrain from pushing the people in front of you on the line in front of Sears under the passing cable cars. Then, when you get in there, have the breakfast special with the eggs, bacon, homefries and short stack of little lingonberry pancakes. Coffee is included. That should put a stop to your whinging.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM

damn, Gator, I had forgotten about Sears…food from my childhood. Amazing stuff. Now I’m hungry, too. But I am in Boise, so … at least I have Goldy’s. I know none of you are probably ever going to be in Boise, but if you are, it rivals anything you have had for breakfast anywhere. Excellent stuff, great every single time. Downtown, three blocks down from the Capitol (apparently too far for the legislators to walk, so it’s bs-free). Now, between Gator bringing up Sears and my plug for my favorite local place, I need to take my lunch a little early and get me some Goldy’s.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

That wouldn’t really be a bet, though. Bravo is on record as a cheesesteak fan—especially if he can find it in pie form.

Those fried pies from Varsity, on the other hand, are some of the nastiest things I’ve ever had the misfortune to consume. Just thinking about that experience makes me feel the need to rinse my mouth out with soapy water.

• APBA Guy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Can’t get close to Sears now. It’s full on tourist season. I did do a Clif’s bar though, nice Berkeley co. that makes some tasty bars. They are co-sponsoring a team at the TdF, where those guys eat about 10 bars a day on their bikes.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Hey kiddies. I’ve been kinda hangin’ in the background for a bit trying to work out some unexpected issues, so I’ve just been reading with an odd—read that however you may—comment here and there.

I accept Bravo’s promise to add “GO PHIGHTIN’ PHILS!!!!!!” to each and every comment of his on Monday—’cause there’s no way the Pinstripes lose to the likes of the Tomahawkers.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Consider this an e-handshake.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I can just imagine where that hand has been.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM

And, by the way, http://www.dishtip.com/food/search/chocolate+cake+shake?where=Chicago%2C+IL

14. cur68 - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I love baseball, Have since as long as I can remember. HBT has been my den of baseball conversation in a wilderness of hockey fans. Civil, intelligent, pretty funny and an arena for nonsense as much as debate. One of my favourite things to do for quite some time. So, I hate it when stuff that reminds me of work happens at a ballgame then some ass makes a joke about it. To real for me. That jackass really wound me up, especially after a long day of mostly failing. I’m taking break from HBT for a bit. Just to look at different stuff and do something else. Talk to you all again in a bit.

c68

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Exactly. I know you are a good baseball fan and enjoyed talking to you in the past. Sorry for any past heated debates we got into in the past.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM

But where else are we going to get our daily update of Joey Bats stalking? Proudlycanadian is going to have to step it up!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Hmm…taking time off from the board and has a working knowledge of medicinal chemistry, while diverting attention by making sly accusations against me….maybe Cur is indeed the Rogue Chemist. All the while right under me nose. Well played sir.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM

cur- This is a blow to me, it’s hard to recruit operatives north of the border, my snowshoes not being what they once were. Please keep it touch to relay important intelligence generated through the MooseCam 6000. The Universe is dependant on this matter.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Chill out easy, my friend. Come back soon.

• spudchukar - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Happy Trails, sure gonna miss ya though.

• spudchukar - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hope it wasn’t the bottom of the 9th grand slam jack by Hafner that was the deciding factor.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

hope the break does its magic, cur — you will be missed.

and I agree — this site is much better than so many others, and it’s due to some combination of Craig and the commenters making it civil, intelligent, funny and sometimes silly (in a most excellent way). I lost my taste for sites that tolerate the likes of which Craig just banned — I come here to get away and enjoy baseball and baseball-related stuff, not to be beaten down some more.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Hopefully the break does you good. Come back soon. Us cake people can’t afford to lose anybody from our ranks. Go have some cake.

And don’t fret about that chickensh!t—or was it purdueman?—jagoff.

• indaburg - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I understand needing a break. From one baseball loving nurse to another, I enjoy reading your posts and I hope you’re not gone too long.

15. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Craig, my opinion of you grew when you let Bicep(t)s back on. You were like the commish sending out a few games suspension. It showed that you are ready to draw a line, but understanding enough to give a second chance. Bravo to you for that, and don’t count me in on the having to say “Go Braves!” bet. I’d rather listen to yankeesfanlen cry about his best bought team in baseball for a week then give your braves any credit. However, I fully expect to see EL Bravo saying Go Phillies come Monday. And to you Phillies fans out there, Glenn and Anthony on the midday show is the best / only show to listen to. Missy Mike is better than Eskin, but who isn’t? Doesn’t make him good just cause he’s not as bad as the other guy.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM

All I read was “best team in baseball”. Thought the Dodgers were the only un-paid team.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I’ll thumbs up you on that. My wife is a Yankees fan, so I try to take as many shots at them as possible.

16. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Well put Craig. I know i am a rookie here compared to some others, but it seems most commenters are pretty decent. However, when the time comes to drop the hammer I respect your decisions and reasoning. Keep up the good work. Now, if we could just do something about those cake lovers!

17. yankeesgameday - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Thank you Craig! I have noticed the tone here was inching towards the Yahoo news comment section at times. Im happy to see a little butt kicking!

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The Yahoo news comment section is the closest thing to a virtual cracker trailer park this side of Fox News. Sheesh. Even the blue ticks bark stupid over there.

18. Lukehart80 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Thanks, Craig. And thanks to all the other readers for making this the kind of place for those kinds of words aren’t tolerated.

19. cup0pizza - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Old Gator should be banned and halladaysbicepts never allowed to return.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Let me have your address. I want to send you a gift certificate good for a lobotomy and six months of litter training.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Says the person who made the simple comment “Splat” in the thread about the death of the Ranger fan. Clown.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

“Clown” is a good start….but there aren’t words, really, for that level of ass-hat-ery.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM

sorry, I should be more spcific and less profane.

Anyone who can write that as a comment to a story about the death of another human being (whose son not only has just lost his dad, but witnessed the horrible fall) simply isn’t deserving of any respect whatsoever. There’s no humor in a comment like that. Just a giant neon sign pointing to a lack of basic decency and humanity.

cup0pizza, you aren’t required to find the wherewithal to respond as an actual human being. Just keep your mouth shut.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

That’s funny—I was just thinking the same about you, splatman.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM

How ’bout a cup of shut the f@ck up? Go. Away.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

How ’bout a cup of this?

20. Detroit Michael - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I don’t think I know how to “infuse with ire” even if I tried!

21. natstowngreg - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Reasonable guidelines, reasonably applied. Excellent.

22. Jack Marshall - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Excellent, Craig. Now send 1,000,000,000 e-mails with that statement to the other blogs that don’t police comments at all. Please.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:46 PM

how do I give this request 1000000 thumbs up? because, yeah, if the otehr moderators took their jobs as seriously as you do, Craig, the Internet world would be a better place.

23. derklempner - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Sorry, but I’m not in favor of these rules.

I’ll continue to read HBT, and I’ll continue to post (sparingly, as usual) when I feel the need. But I feel every person should have the right to say what they ant to say, no matter what. It’s up to the other people who read and post as to whether or not they give time or attention to what offensive people have to say.

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”
    – Voltaire

24. Reflex - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I have been gone lately, changed jobs and working my tail off. Wandered by today to see about the fan death and noticed this. Good work. Honestly Purdueman a couple months ago made me wonder why I bother being in the comments. His flat out racism was over the top, more than I could handle without getting angry, and no internet forum should be able to impact my emotions like that.

Anyways, I’ll try to be around more. And I apologize to the rest of you for that fact. ;)

• Utley's Hair - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Welcome back, Reflex. There seem to be quite a few HBT “vacations” being taken recently, including my own, which sadly will probably be a recurring thing. It’s good to have you back.

• Reflex - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Appreciated. For me it really depends on my new job. Ramping up while simultaniously being productive is difficult. I’ve slowly gone from 14 hour days down to 11 or so hours, if I can get it under 10 I’ll have more time to keep up here. The sad part is how my fantasy baseball team is suffering. ;)

Hope you can find time too, but obviously real life comes first.

25. Brian Murphy - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I’ll echo some of the sentiments here, Craig, and just commend you on a good move. Free speech is fine, but there is a line. I’ve always appreciated that HBT actually cares about what its readers say and enforces some order when one of them becomes overly offensive.

Well done, sir.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline