Jul 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
A little comparison…
Center fielders on the NL All-Star team
So, of course the league today named Andre Ethier the replacement for the injured Shane Victorino on the NL squad. Because what the team really needed was a sixth right fielder, while Andrew McCutchen gets left out again.
To review, McCutchen is hitting .291/.389/.491 with 12 homers and 48 RBI this year while playing a very good center field. Ethier is hitting .313/.382/.451 with seven homers and 42 RBI while playing a pretty poor right field.
Ethier was the better hitter in previous years, but after factoring in defense and baserunning, McCutchen rated as the superior player even before lapping Ethier this season.
Anyway, I don’t want to come off as wholly anti-Ethier here. It’s just that McCutchen was deserving a spot on the team when it was originally announced, he was deserving of being included in the Final Vote and he certainly makes a whole lot more sense than Ethier now given the composition of the squad.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (72)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)