Jul 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
A little comparison…
Center fielders on the NL All-Star team
So, of course the league today named Andre Ethier the replacement for the injured Shane Victorino on the NL squad. Because what the team really needed was a sixth right fielder, while Andrew McCutchen gets left out again.
To review, McCutchen is hitting .291/.389/.491 with 12 homers and 48 RBI this year while playing a very good center field. Ethier is hitting .313/.382/.451 with seven homers and 42 RBI while playing a pretty poor right field.
Ethier was the better hitter in previous years, but after factoring in defense and baserunning, McCutchen rated as the superior player even before lapping Ethier this season.
Anyway, I don’t want to come off as wholly anti-Ethier here. It’s just that McCutchen was deserving a spot on the team when it was originally announced, he was deserving of being included in the Final Vote and he certainly makes a whole lot more sense than Ethier now given the composition of the squad.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)