Jul 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
A little comparison…
Center fielders on the NL All-Star team
So, of course the league today named Andre Ethier the replacement for the injured Shane Victorino on the NL squad. Because what the team really needed was a sixth right fielder, while Andrew McCutchen gets left out again.
To review, McCutchen is hitting .291/.389/.491 with 12 homers and 48 RBI this year while playing a very good center field. Ethier is hitting .313/.382/.451 with seven homers and 42 RBI while playing a pretty poor right field.
Ethier was the better hitter in previous years, but after factoring in defense and baserunning, McCutchen rated as the superior player even before lapping Ethier this season.
Anyway, I don’t want to come off as wholly anti-Ethier here. It’s just that McCutchen was deserving a spot on the team when it was originally announced, he was deserving of being included in the Final Vote and he certainly makes a whole lot more sense than Ethier now given the composition of the squad.
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 9
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 170
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (170)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)