Jul 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
A little comparison…
Center fielders on the NL All-Star team
So, of course the league today named Andre Ethier the replacement for the injured Shane Victorino on the NL squad. Because what the team really needed was a sixth right fielder, while Andrew McCutchen gets left out again.
To review, McCutchen is hitting .291/.389/.491 with 12 homers and 48 RBI this year while playing a very good center field. Ethier is hitting .313/.382/.451 with seven homers and 42 RBI while playing a pretty poor right field.
Ethier was the better hitter in previous years, but after factoring in defense and baserunning, McCutchen rated as the superior player even before lapping Ethier this season.
Anyway, I don’t want to come off as wholly anti-Ethier here. It’s just that McCutchen was deserving a spot on the team when it was originally announced, he was deserving of being included in the Final Vote and he certainly makes a whole lot more sense than Ethier now given the composition of the squad.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)