Are the Royals are too cheap to buy replica Negro Leagues uniforms?

Jul 8, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT

Paige

Joe Posnanski once wrote about how, roughly ten years ago, the Royals decided not to buy Negro Leagues replica uniforms for their Negro Leagues tribute day — like every other team that runs such a promotion — because they didn’t want to pay the $20K or whatever it would cost to do it. Lately that story has been used to illustrate the bad old days in Kansas City, after which a transition to “but now the Royals are running like a quality club” is made.

Old habits apparently die hard, however, because Sam Mellinger reports — and condemns in sharp prose — the Royals’ doing it again. No Negro Legaues uniforms on Negro Leagues promotion day. This despite the fact that Kansas City is the home of the Negro Leagues Museum and the Royals have probably the closest relationship with that organization of all baseball teams. Or at least should.

Is there an explanation for this that doesn’t involve parsimony? ┬áMellinger doesn’t think so. And given that this isn’t the first time the Royals have done this, I think the burden of proof is on them to explain why they aren’t going with the Negro League throwbacks.

1. kopy - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

That’s a shame since the Kansas City Monarchs are, in my opinion, the most popular Negro League team. But maybe that’s just because the black kid in The Sandlot wore a KC Monarchs hat. Either way, I’d really like to see a team all decked out in those uniforms.

2. deathmonkey41 - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

If the Royals did go out and purchase the uniforms, I could definately see their ownership making the front office folks stay late to peddle the used uniforms after the game on eBay to recoup their expenses.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

C’mon KC, you can’t get it right on the field, you could at least get it right off the field…well on the field technically, but you know…

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

No excuse for this. I hold my head in shame as a lifelong and diehard Royals fan. Somehow i dont see this happening if Ewing Kaufmann was still the owner.

And just an FYI, The Negro Leagues Museum is actually a really cool place to visit. I would recommend it for any baseball fan.

• ngearhart1981 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Agreed, it’s worth the trip….and it is not exactly rolling in dough, so the admission genuinely helps to keep this history alive and visible.
      As for the uniform situation, as a I fellow fan I also say shame on the Royals. Even if they think the uniforms are too expensive, they can’t afford NOT to do it….because if they don’t then we all get mad at them for being jerks.

• snowbirdgothic - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Thirded. Took my wife there on a side trip from World Horror Convention in KC a few years back and it was the best part of the trip.

5. Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Too bad this wasn’t a question about Scrooge McLoria. The answer would have been so easy, I could have just sat back and watched everyone else chime in with “yes.”

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Don’t worry Gator, your boy Scrooge has an entire wing set aside for him in the infamy hall of shame.

6. Cran Boy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Haven’t the Royals worn those terrible 70s-vintage powder blue throwbacks? Monarchs uniforms would be infinitely cooler.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Gotta defend the powder blues. They were a big part of the golden age of KC baseball (circa 1974-1986) and are a tradition.

• Cran Boy - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Hey Fargo, I’m down with the tradition. I personally had a terrible fall of 1980; Brett’s bomb off Gossage was the best part of the season for me. But aesthetically, the uniform of Paige and Gibson was sweet.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM

This certainly is no KC Masterpiece.

8. 27xwschamps - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Buy the damn uniforms u cheap ass…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4157)