Jul 8, 2011, 2:17 PM EST
The Tigers picked up a 3-1 victory over the Royals on Thursday night, staying within a game-and-a-half of the American League Central-leading Indians.
But the evening wasn’t all positive.
According to Shawn Windsor of the Detroit Free Press, center fielder Austin Jackson had to leave the contest after the second inning due to “tenderness” in his left wrist. X-rays taken shortly after his exit were negative, but the 24-year-old has been fitted with a splint and might not return to the Tigers’ lineup until after the All-Star break.
Jackson is batting just .245/.318/.361 through 379 plate appearances this season, his second with the Tigers. He finished second in Rookie of the Year voting last year after tallying a whopping 181 hits in 151 games.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)