Jul 8, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
The Giants basically ruled catcher Buster Posey out for the rest of the 2011 season following his late-May surgery to repair a broken bone in his left leg and torn ligaments in his left ankle.
But life goes on, and Posey was cleared by team physicians this week to begin doing light workouts.
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the 24-year-old exercised on a stationary bike Wednesday for the first time since his season-ending home plate collision with Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins. Posey wore a protective boot while pedaling, but progress is progress.
“It was nice to get a little sweat going,” the rehabbing backstop told the Chronicle.
Posey, the fifth overall pick in 2008, batted .284/.368/.389 with four home runs and 21 RBI in 45 games this season. He won Rookie of the Year honors in 2010 after finishing with an .862 OPS and 18 homers.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)