Chipper Jones’ knee isn’t getting any better

Jul 8, 2011, 3:12 PM EST

Atlanta Braves v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal reports that Chipper Jones‘ knee is “getting more bothersome” and isn’t responding well to treatment.

Jones has been playing through it to varying results. He had a rough June. He’s hitting a bit better in July so far and has a six-game hitting streak going — but he’s Chipper, and his body doesn’t have a history of simply snapping back into shape.

The Braves are said to be looking for a bat. If Jones is gone it wouldn’t necessarily mean they’d need an infield bat, however, because Martin Prado is going to back shortly and he is a better third baseman than Jones is.  They could slide Prado to third if it comes to that and look for a left fielder.  Or they could just be content with Nate McLouth out there, but eventually he and Jordan Schafer in the same outfield is gonna be a problem.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Yeah, unfortunately with age, these things tend to surface. I will tell you something. Chipper Jones is the 2nd greatest all-around 3rd. baseman I have seen in my lifetime. Here’s my list:

1. Mike Schimdt
    2. Chipper Jones
    3. Scott Rolen

What do you think? Keep in mind, over the last 30 years this list is. I’m not including Brooks or Matthews because I did not see them play.

• CJ - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

cue the “What? No A-Rod?” uproar in 3……………2………………..1……………

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Respectfully, A-rod doesn’t have the glove compared to the (3) guys I mentioned nor the time at third base to put him in the discussion.

• CJ - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I completely agree, perhaps common sense is prevailing in the Universe today. Either that or they already checked out for the weekend.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Also A-rod was a SS until he became a Yankee.

• kingbuccaneer - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Longoria may be better than all of these guys when it’s all said and done.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Could be. Not disputing that. But, you might want to wait (10) years or so before putting Evan Longoria in the same sentence as Mike Schmidt.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Completely agree. I honestly can’t think of another that would be on that list as of now. I think Ryan Zimmerman has a shot to surpass Rolen but I can’t see any of the current third baseman surpassing Chipper as a player. I don’t like Chipper, but he was and still is a hell of a player.

• jwbiii - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM

That Brett fellow was pretty good.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Scott Rolen better than George Brett? Sorry Cepts, even though I give you the excuse of being a homer I got to disagree totally.

2. CJ - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM

It’s a move they’d have to make a year from now anyway…it makes sense to do it a little early if Jones won’t hold up. It was rumored here before that a Minor for Quentin deal would be a possibility. Not sure if the ChiSox would do that, but the Braves would be foolish not to. Their rotation is very good even without Minor.

Even if you look at the long term outlook as Lowe and Hudson are up in years, they still have Tehran waiting in the wings and Medlen, who was doing very well before his injury, coming back possibly late this season. Add in Hanson, Jurrjens, and Beachy and Minor or Beachy become expendable. And anyone would assume they’d prefer to move Minor over Beachy.

3. bravesfaninbama - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM

“If Jones is gone…”

Uh, guys, he has a slightly torn meniscus. If he decides to have surgery, the Braves are saying he’d be out 2-3 weeks. It’s not like last year’s blown-out ACL that cost him the rest of the year. If it becomes too much, he could just have the surgery and be out a month – tops. Once Prado gets back (and can play 3B), I wouldn’t be shocked if Chipper just went ahead and had the surgery.

• jjschiller - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I still wouldn’t rule out a Quentin trade. Three weeks is about a third of what’s left of the season.

He’s a righthanded power bat still in his arbitration years who can fill in for 3 weeks, caddy for Heyward against tough lefties thereafter, provide real, quality depth, and becomes a REAL DH in a potential World Series appearance.

Then, he slots into LF if Chipper packs it up after this season.

(And if you want to be cynical, with Chipper, Prado, Heyward and Quentin, you only really expect 3 of the 4 to be OFF the DL at any given time.)

4. foreverchipper10 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:14 PM

The day Chipper retires I am telling my job (wherever it may be at that time) that I need a day off 5 years in advance to see him in Cooperstown. I will weep. Chipper is without a doubt my all-time favorite player.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Never would have guessed that Chipper is your favorite.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I am kind of secretive about things like that )

5. Walk - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM

As far as arod and third base goes i give arod my write in vote every year for short in the all star game.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6101)