Comment of the Day: Remembering Shannon Stone

Jul 8, 2011, 12:00 PM EST

Sunset

We got a comment a few minutes ago from a friend of Shannon Stone, the man who died at the Rangers game last night:

I am an old friend and classmate of Shannon.  I have known the man for 35 years, ever since we were in Kindergarten and elementary school together, running in the same group of friends.  My fellow Cleburne High Class of 1990 classmates and I are all devastated by the loss of our brother.

Shannon was a funny and well liked member of our class.  He had a fun-loving way about him.  The way he walked and talked, his outlook, everything about him made it impossible to not like him.

The tragedy touches so many people, be it those who knew and know him and those who did not.  The players at the game, the fans at the game, especially in that section, surely are feeling the same grief we are today.

Our prayers go out to the Stone family.  We love and will miss him terribly but we know he is home and we look forward to seeing him again.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM

What can one say about a tragedy? I appreciate your appropriate use of photography, Craig.

2. halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

God bless the Stone family. Those are heart-felt comments by people that knew the man. This has struck a chord with me. I’m devasted with his loss because he was a guy who was taking his boy to a game and this tragedy strikes. A baseball stadium is the last place in the world that you think you would lose your life. I cannot even imagine what that little boy is going through. This puts baseball, the greatest game invented by man, into perspective.

• yankeesgameday - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Well said. I can’t put it better.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I think of all the times that I went to games with my own father, who passed a few years ago, and our mutual enjoyment of the game. It pains me not only to see what happened to this man, but in the future years of his child’s life. Will he look at this as an accident in life or resent baseball? It’s so horrible what happened.

3. saucepaws - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Perfectly said biceps. Absolutely perfect.

4. trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

There’s quite the dust storm going on at my desk right now.

By they way ‘ceps, that comment alone by you earned you some of my respect and the dropping of the ‘t’. Keep up with the class and you’ll be a respected commenter around here, even when we disagree with you.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Thanks. I’ve dropped the BS and am just giving you my honest opinion and how I feel. This story upset me this morning. I thought about my own father and us going to games. I have empathy for his son and family.

• trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM

It has to be hard for anybody who witnessed this at the game as well. I’ve seen a couple people die before they should have and it’s something that sticks with you. Imagine what his son is feeling right now. :-(

• fiberopticguy - Jul 10, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Biceps and Trevor,
        I can tell you both what his son is going through and what he will probably go through. I appreciate reading your comments about this. The reason I am reading these comments is because it touches me deeply. When I was very young, my father passed away. We all know a dad and son have a special bond. When that friendship is taken away by the loss of a boy’s dad, it changes him forever. Nobody can step in and make the same memories. They’re gone now. Cooper won’t have Dad there to toss a baseball or hold hands going into the game while he feels butterflies in his stomach. He won’t realize until much later the impact. The times when he needs his dad to be there to help with a problem or help him fix his car will be times when it hits him over and over. I have my own 5 year old son, Tyler. And becuse of what I went through, I make sure I am there for him whenever he wants. I can be working in the garage and if Tyler wants to wrestle, I stop what I’m doing. These boys don’t ask for much, so when they do it’s important to remember how short life is.

5. marshmallowsnake - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I feel for this family. No one should go to a game and not make it back home…Especially when your young child is with you. Rest in peace Shannon – and best wishes for your son and family :(

Now, on a side note – I am confused. People love getting a baseball in the stands. My question is why? They are worth $12. Can we have a dialogue on this? What makes people go wild for them?

**side note – did anyone see the story about the final out balls for the HR derby being made with 24K gold? They are valued at $150 – can you say trouble in the making?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I just think this was a freak accident. Most fans, as well as I, love to catch a ball in the stands and will do almost anything to do so. But, the tragedy sets in with this mistake.

I would not read into this anymore than what it is at face value, which is a tragedy.

• marshmallowsnake - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM

You both make good points. I can see how this could be the case.

I suppose it is just natural human reaction to go for the ball. I have never had one close enough for me to go after at a baseball game. I did have a mini-soccer ball at the first MLS cup head towards me, only to be knocked away by the 10 people around me who flailed at it like it was gold.

Either way, Biceps is right…this is a tragedy, and that poor boy had to witness it. I feel for him the most.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

It has little to do with getting a ball. It has more to do with a favorite player of yours or a player on your favorite team gives you a souvenir. It’s like you have their attention for a split second. And they give it to you as you’re there at a ballgame with your dad…or your mom…or another family member or friend. It’s more symbolic of the time than anything else.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I agree. You make another good point. We do endear players with a certain regard compared to everyone else. Especially a superstar such as Josh Hamilton. Probably this man’s favorite player.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Halladay, welcome back. It seems the time off did you good.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Yes, Hair. It did. I missed talking to you, as well as Chris F., El Bravo, Jonny 5, cur68, etc. and the Good Doctor.

You guys are the reason I cleaned up my act and pleaded with Craig to give me another chance. You guys rock! I love HBT because of you.

6. garlicfriesandbaseball - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM

My first thought was the man wanted to catch the ball as a souvenir for his son. Question is what are they going to do with the ball? Surely it’s not something the son would want……a dreadful reminder of the game. Prayers and peace for the entire family, but especially for his son.

• garlicfriesandbaseball - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

My comment sounds a little callous. Sorry – it’s not meant to be taken that way. The most important thing of course is the young child that’s left behind and his family.

• fiberopticguy - Jul 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Garlic,
      I asked my wife, if it were me and my son Tyler at that game, would she want the ball? And her answer was “Absolutely. It’s the last thing you touched. I don’t care if it were a hot dog wrapper, I’d want it.” That’s the answer I’ll choose to go with.

7. madocyankfan - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM

God bless. RIP.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5718)