Jul 8, 2011, 10:09 PM EST
The Orioles called on their seldom-used closer down 9-3 in the bottom of the eighth. After giving up a walk and an RBI triple to Josh Reddick, Gregg threw three straight inside fastballs to Ortiz. The first and third both had Ortiz jumping out of the way. Ortiz stared out after the first one and then took a couple of steps towards the mound following the third, causing the dugouts and benches to clear.
No punches were exchanged during the initial incident. After the players returned to their positions, dugouts and bullpens, warnings were issued.
Gregg next threw a fastball over the plate that Ortiz popped up to shallow right for the second out of the inning. Immediately as Ortiz popped up, Gregg started yelling at him to run it out. Home plate umpire Mike Estabrook deserves credit for immediately tossing Gregg for the jawing, but Ortiz decided to charge the mound anyway and got off a couple of wild punches that failed to connect.
All in all, no real damage seemed to be done. But now the Red Sox will likely have to do without Ortiz for five or six games. Other players likely will face suspensions, too. Gregg seems likely to miss a few games, and Red Sox hurlers John Lackey and Jonathan Papelbon were both involved in the scrum.
10:20 p.m. EDT: As it turned out, Ortiz flew into a double play. Reddick, who tripled prior to Ortiz’s at-bat, abandoned third base in order to take part in the fight and was called out, ending the eighth inning after a lengthy delay and several conversation between the umpires and managers Terry Francona and Buck Showalter.
10:25 p.m. EDT: The ninth proved to be uneventful, with Scott Atchison pitching a scoreless frame to end the game at 10-3.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)