Jul 8, 2011, 10:09 PM EST
The Orioles called on their seldom-used closer down 9-3 in the bottom of the eighth. After giving up a walk and an RBI triple to Josh Reddick, Gregg threw three straight inside fastballs to Ortiz. The first and third both had Ortiz jumping out of the way. Ortiz stared out after the first one and then took a couple of steps towards the mound following the third, causing the dugouts and benches to clear.
No punches were exchanged during the initial incident. After the players returned to their positions, dugouts and bullpens, warnings were issued.
Gregg next threw a fastball over the plate that Ortiz popped up to shallow right for the second out of the inning. Immediately as Ortiz popped up, Gregg started yelling at him to run it out. Home plate umpire Mike Estabrook deserves credit for immediately tossing Gregg for the jawing, but Ortiz decided to charge the mound anyway and got off a couple of wild punches that failed to connect.
All in all, no real damage seemed to be done. But now the Red Sox will likely have to do without Ortiz for five or six games. Other players likely will face suspensions, too. Gregg seems likely to miss a few games, and Red Sox hurlers John Lackey and Jonathan Papelbon were both involved in the scrum.
10:20 p.m. EDT: As it turned out, Ortiz flew into a double play. Reddick, who tripled prior to Ortiz’s at-bat, abandoned third base in order to take part in the fight and was called out, ending the eighth inning after a lengthy delay and several conversation between the umpires and managers Terry Francona and Buck Showalter.
10:25 p.m. EDT: The ninth proved to be uneventful, with Scott Atchison pitching a scoreless frame to end the game at 10-3.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)