Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
For as much was made about so many Yankees making the All-Star team, in effect, it doesn’t really matter. Why? Because none of ‘em seem to be playing. Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera already decided to give it a miss, and now, too, will Derek Jeter.
This is not a total shock. While he’s been playing every day since his return from the disabled list, that’s mostly to get his 3,000th hit out of the way. One figures that once that happens, he’ll be resting that calf more than he has been. And what a better way to get some rest than to not fly out to Arizona and to play in an exhibition game?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)