Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
For as much was made about so many Yankees making the All-Star team, in effect, it doesn’t really matter. Why? Because none of ‘em seem to be playing. Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera already decided to give it a miss, and now, too, will Derek Jeter.
This is not a total shock. While he’s been playing every day since his return from the disabled list, that’s mostly to get his 3,000th hit out of the way. One figures that once that happens, he’ll be resting that calf more than he has been. And what a better way to get some rest than to not fly out to Arizona and to play in an exhibition game?
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 1
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 5
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 18
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 41
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 22