Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
For as much was made about so many Yankees making the All-Star team, in effect, it doesn’t really matter. Why? Because none of ’em seem to be playing. Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera already decided to give it a miss, and now, too, will Derek Jeter.
This is not a total shock. While he’s been playing every day since his return from the disabled list, that’s mostly to get his 3,000th hit out of the way. One figures that once that happens, he’ll be resting that calf more than he has been. And what a better way to get some rest than to not fly out to Arizona and to play in an exhibition game?
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29