Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
For as much was made about so many Yankees making the All-Star team, in effect, it doesn’t really matter. Why? Because none of ‘em seem to be playing. Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera already decided to give it a miss, and now, too, will Derek Jeter.
This is not a total shock. While he’s been playing every day since his return from the disabled list, that’s mostly to get his 3,000th hit out of the way. One figures that once that happens, he’ll be resting that calf more than he has been. And what a better way to get some rest than to not fly out to Arizona and to play in an exhibition game?
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)