Fan hit by Josh Hamilton’s foul ball requires stitches

Jul 8, 2011, 11:32 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP

Because any sort of fancy lede here would only stand to trivialize last night’s tragedy

Josh Hamilton ripped a foul ball into the stands Friday night in the game against the A’s that struck a male fan sitting about five rows behind the third-base dugout, leaving the man bleeding from the face.  Stadium personnel immediately tended to him, setting him up with a compress as he was taken away to get further medical attention.

The Rangers said the fan received stitches at the stadium and was OK afterwards.  They didn’t identify him or provide any additional details.

1. insaneinthemembraines - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Wow, first he tastelessly plays today in ignorance of yesterday’s tragedy, and now this. What an ass.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Too Soon?

• cjfracing27 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM

i never post on here. but you are officially the asshole of the day

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Well, Purdueman probably wins asshole of the day…but there have been a few posters today that would come in a close second.

• dwishinsky - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM

What is tasteless about him playing? He probably feels horrible and the field being a sanctuary gives him something else to focus on and an opportunity to heal. Now you think he somehow wanted this to happen? I am an A’s fan – I’d love to see Josh Hamilton sit when playing us, but frankly I feel terrible for him and wish him the best as a fellow human being. I want him to go 0-for-4 in a game but I wish him the best in life and hope he is happy and can continue to be the inspirational recovery story he has been. What is tasteless is your comment.

• kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Not this again. I am out of here. PS you’re a jerk.

• Reflex - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Don’t leave. If all the good posters leave, then only the jerks will remain. This blog is better than the overwhelming majority in terms of the comment quality.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Don’t stop posting kiwicricket. I like your posts. I generally don’t respond to them, but I enjoy reading them. Don’t let the clowns win.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Kiwi, I hope you only mean you’re gone for the day. To paraphrase what Reflex said, if all the legitimate posters leave, only the a$$hats will be left. I enjoy your posts and your interaction with Gator and cur68, who hopefully won’t be gone for long.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

As usual, the quality of HBT comments goes down significantly on the weekends.

• betoven1 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

You spot it, you got it. Go look in the mirror for the true ass. Josh is a great guy. He will do the right thing for the Stone family, especially for the little boy Cooper.

2. Brian Murphy - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM

You can’t help but imagine Hamilton thinking “What next?” while shaking his head. It’s been a rough 24 hours him, and I feel bad for the guy.

3. FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Dude just can’t catch a break. BTW Something has to be done about fans falling in stadiums. The same day this tragedy struck another fan fell reaching for a home-run during batting practice at Turner Field. I think action must be taken lest tragedy strikes again.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I don’t think anything should be done. It is just a baseball. Fans need to have some perspective about risk and reward (similar to idiots that drive while talking on the phone where the risk is high and the reward is essentially zero) and take responsibility for not falling over railings. If the railing were higher, people would just climb up them to lean over.

4. bigleagues - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I beginning to believe there are larger forces at work with Hamilton.

I posted this yesterday at 11:57 AM:

“You know who else I don’t feel sorry for? The people sitting along 1B and 3B lines who get clocked by a foul tip because they aren’t paying attention to what’s happening in the game.”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3763)