HBT Daily: Tiffany and I talk about announcers

Jul 8, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT

We all have stuff we love and stuff we hate when it comes to baseball announcers. But I'm not sure any of us really agree on what's good and what's not.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM

All I know is this; Chris Wheeler is awesome. There is nobody I would rather have doing color commentary on a baseball game than Wheels. And yes I am being serious.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM

People don’t like Wheels?

• FC - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that at least most internet savvy Phillies Fans don’t like Wheels.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

One of my joys in life is sitting on the deck with my faithful hound Harley, having a cool refreshing beverage and correcting John Sterling’s calls and reminding him of the balls and strikes.
    Besides, it’s much cheaper relacing radios that I periodically throw over the railings than buying new LEDs watching the games with Michael Kay.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Harley is a great dog – the platonic ideal of canine insouciance. You should be a lot prouder of Harley than I am of the Feesh these days.

• Old Gator - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Speaking of which, I want to put in a plug for the now reired (I think) Joe Angel, who graced Feesh broadcasts for several years before being inexplicably decanted (rumor has it that he was stabbed in the back by Dave O’Brien, and nothing in O’Brien’s subsequent transmigrations upward militate against that interpretation). Joe had a colorful style and a voice with some of the tonal modulations of the otherwise incomparable Mel Allen, a voice about which some commentator once remarked that it must have been decorated by a florist. I have no complaints about the current crop of Feesh commentators but Joe was the best of the lot.

3. sknut - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Tom Kelly has been subbing for Blyleven on twins broadcasts and while he is rough, his knowledge comes through and can really point out the subtle aspects of the games and its refreshing.

• kopy - Jul 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

So many people have said this but it’s true: I’ve learned as much from TK in a couple games as I have in years of watching Blyleven. Blyleven is clearly more entertaining and talented, but TK does such a good job of passing on his knowledge of the game.

I like how he brought a stopwatch to the booth to time Humber and recommend whether or not to be aggressive on the bases, and how if a middle infielder plays too close to 2nd it’s illegal to move during the pitch since he’s in the batter’s eye. It makes sense, but I never knew that was a rule before. The fact that TK has been around the minors system and has known most of these AAA guys for years is great too.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

The Twins are blessed with good announcers on the radio as well, except for Jack Morris who is brutal. John Gordon is one of the best and has been forever. It will be sad when he retires completely.

• cerveceros82 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I’m reasonably confident that there is no rule restricting the movement of middle infielders. As an amateur ump I’ve poured over the rule book and can’t recall anything that sounds like what you’re saying.

4. FC - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

What Works? Harry Doyle! You can’t beat: “Jussssst a bit outside!”. Bob Uecker is just awesome.

• FC - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

BTW, Uecker had a career .200 avg as a player (exactly .200). Maybe we should talk about the Uecker line instead of the Mendoza line.

• spudchukar - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM

You outta check out his numbers vs. Sandy Koufax, he owned him.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I can not watch a game when Chris Berman or Bob Costas are calling it. God, they make baseball so not fun. I really like John Flaherty on YES and I also like Paul O’Neill, but he was also one of my favorite players, so I might be biased there.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Got to agree. Berman calling anything is grounds for me to turn off the volume or change the channel.

6. deathmonkey41 - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM

And I miss Phil Rizzuto’s cannoli stories dearly.

7. brianmoline - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I think the Cubs have a solid team right now with Kasper and Brenly. Brenly can get a little heavy on the cliches from time-to-time, but overall I think he does a nice job on color. Kasper clearly does his homework, and will occasionally drop in a bit of more advanced statistical analysis, but he doesn’t hit you over the head with it. They’re not total homers either. Heard Brenly just last night call Jeff Baker out for trying to stretch a single into a double down by eight runs and getting thrown out by Rick Ankiel. I believe the exact quote was “What are you thinking?!?”

Three legends off to Cooperstown