Jul 8, 2011, 12:40 PM EST
Scary moment in the second inning of last night’s Blue Jays-Indians game, as rookie third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall was forced to leave the game after being struck in the cheek by a pitch from right-hander Carlos Villanueva.
Chisenhall was diagnosed with facial contusions and underwent a CT scan at a local hospital, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
The 22-year-old missed time last month while playing with Triple-A Columbus after suffering a concussion and whiplash symptoms on a slide into third base, but there are no signs of a concussion at this time. His status will be updated later today.
Chisenhall is hitting .267/.313/.467 over his first 32 plate appearances since being promoted from the minors on June 27. He hit his first major league home run in Wednesday’s win over the Yankees.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)