Jul 8, 2011, 12:40 PM EST
Scary moment in the second inning of last night’s Blue Jays-Indians game, as rookie third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall was forced to leave the game after being struck in the cheek by a pitch from right-hander Carlos Villanueva.
Chisenhall was diagnosed with facial contusions and underwent a CT scan at a local hospital, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
The 22-year-old missed time last month while playing with Triple-A Columbus after suffering a concussion and whiplash symptoms on a slide into third base, but there are no signs of a concussion at this time. His status will be updated later today.
Chisenhall is hitting .267/.313/.467 over his first 32 plate appearances since being promoted from the minors on June 27. He hit his first major league home run in Wednesday’s win over the Yankees.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)