Joe Buck would step aside for Vin Scully in the World Series

Jul 8, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Remember that petition the guy at The Daily ‘Stache put up, trying to get Fox to replace Joe Buck with Vin Scully for the World Series this year?  Well, it has an unexpected supporter: Joe Buck:

Personally, I’d love it,” Buck said the other day. “We’ve always toyed with the idea of having the hometown guy involved in a World Series broadcast. I’m from that camp. In my dad’s era, we paid a nod of tribute to the greats. And there’s no one like Vin, or close to Vin.

“I’d happily step aside to hear his voice (on the World Series). I would not fight that at all. That’s just how I grew up.

Joe Buck is not my personal cup of tea as a baseball announcer, but he seems like he has pretty good taste and an awful lot of sense.

But a cautionary note to Fox:  If you do anything with this idea, either go all the way or just forget it.  I still remember a few years ago when Fox invited Ernie Harwell — who was retired — to do an inning or two in a playoff series.  He came in, his usual professional self and just took off like it was 1965 or something. The other people in the booth — I can’t recall who, but one was a woman and I don’t think either Buck or McCarver were around — started treating him like a museum piece, interviewing him and acting in, what I felt anyway, a patronizing fashion.

If Scully is asked to join the World Series broadcast, you do with him what the Dodgers do with him: give him the mic, empty the booth and get the hell out of his way.

1. derekjetersmansion - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Everyone wants it to happen, except the people who make the decisions. Sigh.

• Michael - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Now we just need another petition to replace Tim McCarver.

2. isdtyrant - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM

After reading this, I dislike Joe Buck just a little less.

3. Steve A - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Ah yes. The Jeannie Zelasko situation. She was despised around Detroit after she cut off Harwell in the middle of one of his great yarns. Ugh.

4. scatterbrian - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I just gained a little respect for Joe Buck. I feel funny.

5. jonweisman - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

The main obstacle to this is Vin Scully. There has been no indication he wants to do this, and short of the Angels making the World Series, I would be rather surprised to see him get on a plane to do 30 minutes of announcing. I also think he’d find the premise dubious, in that it makes him the show instead of the ballplayers.

You never know, but I don’t get the sense that Fox (whom Scully does games for via Prime Ticket) has a problem with the idea.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Vin Scully is not about self-promotion. He would never mention this himself. That’s why he’s Vin Scully, and the rest of us aren’t.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Wow, who would dislike that comment. If you don’t like me, that’s one thing.

But disliking Vin being Vin? That’s just wrong.

Please identify yourself for future reference.

6. halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Here’s something to think about: What would the rapport be between Scully and McCarver? I think it would be fine, but it certainly would be interseting to hear.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Sorry, *interesting.* My apologies.

• Alex K - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That would be the opposite of interesting. There is no reason to dirty Scully up with McCarver talking over him.

• losburrosinblue - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:54 PM

“There is no reason to dirty Scully up with McCarver talking over him.”

or filling in a perfect pause.

7. kountryking - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Vin Scully learned from the master, Red Barber, and developed the most listenable style of broadcasting. He needs no “partner” with whom to exchange extraneous banter. He’s the last of the great solo sportscasters. No two or three people could compete with Vin and no one will take his place when he’s called his last game. I’ve been listening to his calm voice, his intelligent insight, his great knowledge of the game and its history since his career began in the holy city of Brooklyn, New York. Via his voice, I’ve pictured the great moments in Dodgers history. Jackie stealing home. Gil hitting four against Boston. Sandy’s no-hitters. Don’s scoreless innings record and it’s being surpassed by Orel. Fernandomania. Gibson’s big one. All of that and more. May God bless Vin Scully and may the world of sport always honor him.

• kopy - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I agree with everything you say, but we can’t forget that there is still one other great solo broadcaster up in Milwaukee by the name of Bob Uecker. Brewers radio has been putting him in a booth with a microphone and leaving him the hell alone for 40+ years now. Not quite as long of a career as Scully since Uecker played a little for the Milwaukee Braves first, but they’re definitely the last of an era.

8. skerney - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

joe buck would rather do a cowboys – eagles game than the WS.

9. jwbiii - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM

“We’ve always toyed with the idea of having the hometown guy involved in a World Series broadcast.”

As a policy, this would not be a good idea. For example, 2005 would have highlighted Hawk Harrelson and Milo Hamilton. More Vin Scully, however, is always a good idea.

• kopy - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

This reminded me of a Bill Simmons rant about the NBA playoffs. I think it was the Thunder/Grizzlies series, but apparently TNT used a hometown crew from one of the cities to do its national broadcast. The crew were huge homers and referred to a team as “we”, like Hawk does.

10. andrebeingandre16 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

i’d be all for vinny doing a whole game completely! it would probably drive up ratings too. if vinny is up for it i dont see anyone else having a problem with it.

11. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM

It should be Vin Scully and Chris Wheeler doing the World Series.

12. foreverchipper10 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I signed that petition when it was mentioned on here the first time around.

13. birdsnblues - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM

EXACTLY!

14. chief5675 - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Vin Scully- Joe Buck- who really cares- two losers. Scully is like that redneck football announcer that supposedly retired then showed up doing a bowl game. He loved teams with red uniforms- redneck teams in every case.

• jtc0200 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Have you ever listened to Scully call a game??

15. schmedley69 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM

If they are going to bring Vin back, they might as well bring back his old NBC Game of the Week partner Joe Garagiola as well. And while were at it, they should bring back the Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench and The Chicken. Those were the days.

16. vikesfansteve - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM

If that’s true then please do it!

When Randy Moss mooned the packers fans & Joe Buck went on his that’s disgusting rant then Fox immediately cut to a commercial of him hocking beer while the Cardinals players & coaches get busted for DUI”s left & right I was like whatever you self involved preacher.

Meanwhile Buck does such a poor job researching before the game he has no idea the Pack fans moon all opposing teams buses.

A ss Clown!