Jul 8, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Personally, I’d love it,” Buck said the other day. “We’ve always toyed with the idea of having the hometown guy involved in a World Series broadcast. I’m from that camp. In my dad’s era, we paid a nod of tribute to the greats. And there’s no one like Vin, or close to Vin.
“I’d happily step aside to hear his voice (on the World Series). I would not fight that at all. That’s just how I grew up.
Joe Buck is not my personal cup of tea as a baseball announcer, but he seems like he has pretty good taste and an awful lot of sense.
But a cautionary note to Fox: If you do anything with this idea, either go all the way or just forget it. I still remember a few years ago when Fox invited Ernie Harwell — who was retired — to do an inning or two in a playoff series. He came in, his usual professional self and just took off like it was 1965 or something. The other people in the booth — I can’t recall who, but one was a woman and I don’t think either Buck or McCarver were around — started treating him like a museum piece, interviewing him and acting in, what I felt anyway, a patronizing fashion.
If Scully is asked to join the World Series broadcast, you do with him what the Dodgers do with him: give him the mic, empty the booth and get the hell out of his way.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)