Jul 8, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
Personally, I’d love it,” Buck said the other day. “We’ve always toyed with the idea of having the hometown guy involved in a World Series broadcast. I’m from that camp. In my dad’s era, we paid a nod of tribute to the greats. And there’s no one like Vin, or close to Vin.
“I’d happily step aside to hear his voice (on the World Series). I would not fight that at all. That’s just how I grew up.
Joe Buck is not my personal cup of tea as a baseball announcer, but he seems like he has pretty good taste and an awful lot of sense.
But a cautionary note to Fox: If you do anything with this idea, either go all the way or just forget it. I still remember a few years ago when Fox invited Ernie Harwell — who was retired — to do an inning or two in a playoff series. He came in, his usual professional self and just took off like it was 1965 or something. The other people in the booth — I can’t recall who, but one was a woman and I don’t think either Buck or McCarver were around — started treating him like a museum piece, interviewing him and acting in, what I felt anyway, a patronizing fashion.
If Scully is asked to join the World Series broadcast, you do with him what the Dodgers do with him: give him the mic, empty the booth and get the hell out of his way.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)