Jul 8, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Personally, I’d love it,” Buck said the other day. “We’ve always toyed with the idea of having the hometown guy involved in a World Series broadcast. I’m from that camp. In my dad’s era, we paid a nod of tribute to the greats. And there’s no one like Vin, or close to Vin.
“I’d happily step aside to hear his voice (on the World Series). I would not fight that at all. That’s just how I grew up.
Joe Buck is not my personal cup of tea as a baseball announcer, but he seems like he has pretty good taste and an awful lot of sense.
But a cautionary note to Fox: If you do anything with this idea, either go all the way or just forget it. I still remember a few years ago when Fox invited Ernie Harwell — who was retired — to do an inning or two in a playoff series. He came in, his usual professional self and just took off like it was 1965 or something. The other people in the booth — I can’t recall who, but one was a woman and I don’t think either Buck or McCarver were around — started treating him like a museum piece, interviewing him and acting in, what I felt anyway, a patronizing fashion.
If Scully is asked to join the World Series broadcast, you do with him what the Dodgers do with him: give him the mic, empty the booth and get the hell out of his way.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 7
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)