Jul 8, 2011, 8:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Encouraging news from the Nats’ clubhouse. The Nationals just announced that Lannan is day-to-day with a nasal contusion.
8:27 PM: You never like to see this.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Nationals left-hander John Lannan exited tonight’s start against the Rockies in the top of the fourth inning after he was struck in the face with a comebacker off the bat of Ty Wigginton.
As Comak notes, Lannan was “bleeding immediately, likely from the nose” and immediately walked off the field with Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz.
We’ll pass along an update when more information is made available.
Lannan, 26, is 5-5 with a 3.48 ERA and 1.34 WHIP over 19 starts this season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)