Jul 8, 2011, 8:27 PM EST
UPDATE: Encouraging news from the Nats’ clubhouse. The Nationals just announced that Lannan is day-to-day with a nasal contusion.
8:27 PM: You never like to see this.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Nationals left-hander John Lannan exited tonight’s start against the Rockies in the top of the fourth inning after he was struck in the face with a comebacker off the bat of Ty Wigginton.
As Comak notes, Lannan was “bleeding immediately, likely from the nose” and immediately walked off the field with Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz.
We’ll pass along an update when more information is made available.
Lannan, 26, is 5-5 with a 3.48 ERA and 1.34 WHIP over 19 starts this season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)