Jul 8, 2011, 8:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Encouraging news from the Nats’ clubhouse. The Nationals just announced that Lannan is day-to-day with a nasal contusion.
8:27 PM: You never like to see this.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Nationals left-hander John Lannan exited tonight’s start against the Rockies in the top of the fourth inning after he was struck in the face with a comebacker off the bat of Ty Wigginton.
As Comak notes, Lannan was “bleeding immediately, likely from the nose” and immediately walked off the field with Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz.
We’ll pass along an update when more information is made available.
Lannan, 26, is 5-5 with a 3.48 ERA and 1.34 WHIP over 19 starts this season.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86