Jul 8, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
9:20 p.m. EDT: Beckett was removed with the Red Sox are calling a mildly hyperextended left knee. The team said it was a precaution and that he’s listed as day-to-day.
Common sense would dictate that he’ll be scratched from the All-Star Game, even though it looks like he’ll be ready to pitch after the break.
Red Sox All-Star right-hander Josh Beckett left his start Friday against the Orioles after five innings with an apparent leg injury.
Beckett, who opened the game with four scoreless innings, appeared to slip on the mound while delivering a pitch in the fifth. The trainer came out to look at him, but all Beckett asked for at the time was for a little work to be done on the mound.
Beckett got his wish, but he struggled over the rest of the inning. Having already allowed a homer to Derrek Lee, he went on to walk two batters and give up two RBI singles before striking out Vladimir Guerrero to end the frame.
After the inning, Beckett walked into the tunnel with the trainer and a Red Sox team doctor and never came back out. Matt Albers replaced him in the sixth with Boston up 8-3.
Beckett didn’t appear to be walking with a significant limp, so hopefully this is just a minor injury for him. Still, it’s more distressing news for the Red Sox, who just lost a third starter to the DL when Jon Lester suffered a strained lat muscle Tuesday.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)