Jul 8, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
9:20 p.m. EDT: Beckett was removed with the Red Sox are calling a mildly hyperextended left knee. The team said it was a precaution and that he’s listed as day-to-day.
Common sense would dictate that he’ll be scratched from the All-Star Game, even though it looks like he’ll be ready to pitch after the break.
Red Sox All-Star right-hander Josh Beckett left his start Friday against the Orioles after five innings with an apparent leg injury.
Beckett, who opened the game with four scoreless innings, appeared to slip on the mound while delivering a pitch in the fifth. The trainer came out to look at him, but all Beckett asked for at the time was for a little work to be done on the mound.
Beckett got his wish, but he struggled over the rest of the inning. Having already allowed a homer to Derrek Lee, he went on to walk two batters and give up two RBI singles before striking out Vladimir Guerrero to end the frame.
After the inning, Beckett walked into the tunnel with the trainer and a Red Sox team doctor and never came back out. Matt Albers replaced him in the sixth with Boston up 8-3.
Beckett didn’t appear to be walking with a significant limp, so hopefully this is just a minor injury for him. Still, it’s more distressing news for the Red Sox, who just lost a third starter to the DL when Jon Lester suffered a strained lat muscle Tuesday.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (78)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful