Jul 8, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
9:20 p.m. EDT: Beckett was removed with the Red Sox are calling a mildly hyperextended left knee. The team said it was a precaution and that he’s listed as day-to-day.
Common sense would dictate that he’ll be scratched from the All-Star Game, even though it looks like he’ll be ready to pitch after the break.
Red Sox All-Star right-hander Josh Beckett left his start Friday against the Orioles after five innings with an apparent leg injury.
Beckett, who opened the game with four scoreless innings, appeared to slip on the mound while delivering a pitch in the fifth. The trainer came out to look at him, but all Beckett asked for at the time was for a little work to be done on the mound.
Beckett got his wish, but he struggled over the rest of the inning. Having already allowed a homer to Derrek Lee, he went on to walk two batters and give up two RBI singles before striking out Vladimir Guerrero to end the frame.
After the inning, Beckett walked into the tunnel with the trainer and a Red Sox team doctor and never came back out. Matt Albers replaced him in the sixth with Boston up 8-3.
Beckett didn’t appear to be walking with a significant limp, so hopefully this is just a minor injury for him. Still, it’s more distressing news for the Red Sox, who just lost a third starter to the DL when Jon Lester suffered a strained lat muscle Tuesday.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)