Jul 8, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
Playing with black armbands and heavy hearts, the Rangers roughed up All-Star left-hander Gio Gonzalez and beat the A’s 8-5 on Friday night.
The Rangers started this one in torrid fashion, going deep three times in the first and second innings off a pitcher who had surrendered just six homers in 109 innings for the season. Mike Napoli, Adrian Beltre and Ian Kinsler did the damage, as the Rangers scored seven runs between the two frames.
Gonzalez bounced back to throw two scoreless innings from there, but he was removed after four, making it his shortest outing of the season. Only three of the seven runs he gave up were earned.
Napoli ended up collecting two doubles to go along with his grand slam in the first.
C.J. Wilson picked up the win for Texas, though it wasn’t one of his better outings. He gave up four of Oakland’s runs while working seven innings. Closer Neftali Feliz allowed a single run in the ninth to make it 8-5.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)