Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.
Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:
Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.
Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.
That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.
Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.
Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)