Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EST
Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.
Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:
Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.
Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.
That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.
Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.
Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (202)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)