Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.
Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:
Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.
Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.
That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.
Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.
Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)