Josh Hamilton talks about Thursday’s accident

Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.

Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:

Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.

Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.

That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.

Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.

Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.

1. natstowngreg - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM

You’re just doing something nice for somebody, and that somebody dies. I can’t pretend to understand how that feels.

2. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Such a sad story. No one wins in this situation. I think it’s right of him not to reach out immediately. Not that it wouldn’t be nice of him, but I can’t say that I’d want to hear from anyone after losing a loved one like that cause I’m not a person suffering through it. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Stone family. I would hope Josh doesn’t blame himself for this.

3. wintwins - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM

If I lost my husband / father / friend and someone gave me the ‘God has a plan’ line, I would punch them in the face. I know he means well, but someone essentially telling me that a horrible accident is God’s will is extremely insulting, imo.

• Glenn - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I don’t think that he has any other way to express himself outside of his religious world view. I don’t think that we should fault him for this. He’s just a ballplayer, not a polished spokesman for horrible accidents.

• kickingiant - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I live in the DFW area, and have heard Josh comment on several different game situations. You are right, he is not a spokesman. His words aren’t polished, or often well thought out. If you insist on parsing out every syllable, his statements can be construed however you wish. Generally, his intent is far easier to understand.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I respect your opinion, I have no idea how I would react.

• denverhoopdreams - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I wish thumbs down on the “Talk” blogs on msnbc was like voting for the All-Star game, we could do as many as we desire.

• vikesfansteve - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM

shut up, if that would cause you to punch someone you are a fool who has no self control & lets what other people say control you. pathetic. weak minded chimp.

• vanillakokakola - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM

that was my reaction too. i know he’s trying to be nice, but no thank you.

i’ve always been nauseated by that sentiment in general. “it’s a ~good thing~ that your loved one is gone because my deity who you may or may not believe in totally has other plans. for… you know… something.”

that being said, i don’t think he’s a jerk for saying it. i just wish people would stop saying it in general.

• texanadeb - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I understand where you are coming from wintwins. When my sister in law was murdered, her husband enlisted the services of a minister who did not know her. He made a similar statement that “GOD had a reason for her death. My mother in law, who was atheist came unglued. I am a Christian, and I understand also where Hamilton is coming from. In a situation that is inconceivable to see a plan by God, you only hope there is something better for the deceased, and that the death was not in vain; that there is some sort of a higher purpose than just a cessation of life on earth.
      I feel for the Stone family and for Josh Hamilton. He has been through a hard battle. I hope that the Stone family will take Hamilton’s comment in the way it was given. He is grieving over the death also. He will have the Rangers organization supporting him and I am sure Hamilton will support the Stones (emotionally) in any way he can.

• kickingiant - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM

He isn’t giving that line to them, he is giving it to himself. Your are right that it is a hollow condolence, but he is struggling with how he feels, and trying to put it into a frame he can deal with. He did something more casually than I usually grab the morning paper with, that can be the highlight of most fans week, month, or in the case of a child, can be remembered forever. That memory was his intent, and it lead to this situation. I won’t put any blame on him, but I can’t believe he doesn’t put it on himself.

• betoven1 - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I agree with what Josh said about God has a plan. He backed that up with sometimes (Christians) we don’t understand why certain things happen (like this situation) but that we have to trust Gods plan. Shannon Stone yelled out to Josh for a foul ball. Josh is Cooper’s (the son) favorite player. It’s so sad but I just don’t think it was insulting to the Stone family.

• thekassmass - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM

When someone says “God has a plan”, he means God can turn something that went horribly wrong into something great. Not that it’s “God’s will.” If that’s what he meant, he would say “It was God’s plan.” That’s what they mean by “twisting someone’s words”. Put more thought into it.

4. denverhoopdreams - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Even I’m Atheist and if someone says God has a plan for me, I just take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn’t be insulted, or punch him… he feels bad, give him a break.

• denverhoopdreams - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Additionally no one will ever know how Hamilton feels.. or very few do. Accidental deaths like this are a totally freak accident.. not just a general accident, but a freak one. My best wishes to the Stone family.

• Ben Racine - Jul 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM

My response too

5. willcoop - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM

In the grand scheme of things, it’s a game that’s designed to bring joy and happiness, allow a boy to dream, wonder if he can be in that position in years to come. Josh was trying to make someone happy and it turned to tragedy. I hope the posters on here are sympathetic and understanding to the plights of the Stone family and Hamilton, for they will be linked forever. Prayers go out to both parties because there is going to be a huge need for healing on both sides.

6. ernestbynershands - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I’m not a baseball fan.
    But, my heart sunk when I read about this tragic accident. It was insult to injury to read the details. Thinking of the young boy, thinking of Josh Hamilton (and his story) I felt sick.
    Scott Van Pelts touching story on his radio show brought tears to my eyes.
    I hope that everyone involved heals and gets on.
    This is a depressingly sad story.
    Pray for them all.

• icewalker946 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Scott Van Pelt did a great job holding it together. http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6749953

7. whiskyriver27 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM

“God has a plan” You jackass,what did God need a fireman?
    Poor little kid is without a father now. What part of God’s plan does that fulfill??
    Whats the over under on Josh hitting the needle again over this??

• icewalker946 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I hope his “hitting the needle” days are over. And as rough as you were for saying those things about God’s plan……it’s hard not to agree with you.

• kickingiant - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Whatever your beliefs may be, the people involved in this tragedy deserve more respect than your comment gives them. Hamilton did nothing to deserve your implication he would return to drug abuse. He tried to do something nice, and through no fault of his own it turned into a tragedy. Any statements he makes here are to the press, not the family. He is still (a whole 24 hour later) trying to deal with this, and fit it into his world view which, to him and many others, means “God has a Plan.”

8. operator3134 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM

God Bless you Josh Hamilton, May God truly bless you and all you stand for. My prayers are with you sir!

9. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM

This reminds me of Pat Tillman. When he died, many political figures said things at his funeral about “He’s with God now”, and “I’m sure he’s in heaven”. Then Pats brother got up and made the statement, to make it clear to everyone there, that “Pat isn’t with God, and Pat didn’t believe in God”. I found it to be him speaking for how Pat would’ve wanted himself represented and from his beleif that he’s entitled to have. The people saying those things were simply putting their best feet forward, and I’m sure that some were speaking to what they truely believed. I’m not sure that coming out and saying “Pat isn’t in heaven, but he was a hell of a guy” would’ve made any of them look like honorable people, especially since none of them really knew Pat, which is also what made it ok for his brother to say what he said without getting any greif over it. When someone dies, it’s kinda the go-to way to speak. In this case it’s obvious that Josh believes in God, and that God has a plan for the Stone family. A Chirstian might argue that God can use this death to bring more people to learn about him (God), or that it will make his family stronger in the long run, or many things that are clearly debatable. All people may not agree with what Josh said, but it was better than saying hateful things, or calling people names. When I hear people say things about how they believe in God, I accept it for it being what it is, their opinion which they are fully entitled to. When I hear people say things about how they don’t believe in God, I feel the same way about it as I would a Christian speaking their mind. The second anyone puts another person’s opinion down and bashes it, they leave everyone else the option to bash them for their belief because anyone who doesn’t accept people treating them as they treat others is a hypocrite. Let’s face it, no one is sure of where we came from, though a Christian might argue that they are sure because iof their faith, we’re talking about having proof of creation, not proof through strong belief. We all have our theories as to what is true. It’s a matter of respecting each other. If you believe in God, accept people’s feeling if they don’t, cause they could be right for all you know. If you don’t believe in God, accept Christians for their beliefs, cause they very well could be right. To quote the wise Pink Floyd, “Together we stand, Divided we fall…..(we fall……we fall…..we fall…)

10. sportsfan31 - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think Josh meant “God has a plan” to mean it was meant for this unfortunate person to die. I’m pretty sure he said that to mean that God has a plan for how this family will heal and grieve and eventually pick up the pieces and do what is best for the family.

I think Josh is a humble human being and I’m very proud of him for all the work and effort he puts into the game every day. I feel so bad for him and I pray he will be able to get through this just like the family and every one else involved.

11. hipvet - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM

What do you people know about death? When I was in Vietnam a guy who was in a unit near ours asked a buddy to toss him a can of C-Rats, canned food for the uninformed. The guy stood up to catch the toss and got his head blown off.
    Who is to blame? The tosser? The catcher? The NVA? The war? Make up your own minds.
    Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! There is NO fault here.
    Just bad timing. Wrong place at the wrong time. Happens every day. PEACE!

12. Ron - Jul 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM

It is very easy to say God’s Plan. It is very difficult to live that Plan. I feel very sorry for the young boy and his father. I offer my prayers for you both.

13. 1742hawk - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM

This is a sad situation. I feel bad for the boy and his family. It’s a sad situation for Hamilton too. What else can you say> If you have a negative divisive comment…shut the hell up.

14. 1742hawk - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM

This is a sad situation. I feel bad for the boy and his family. It’s a sad situation for Hamilton too. What else can you say If you have a negative divisive comment…shut the hell up.

15. ernestbynershands - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM

@whiskeyriver
    Did I take your comments correctly? Are you criticizing Hamilton?
    If so, you are a f•€£!^g A$$#0!€. you must drink a river of whiskey! I don’t know who or where you are, and cant handle it personally, so I hope you suffer a slow miserable spiral to your end.
    If I took the out of context, you still suck. Learn to write.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3838)