Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.
Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:
Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.
Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.
That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.
Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.
Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)