Jul 8, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton spoke at length Friday about the events of the night before, when Shannon Stone died after tumbling over the Rangers Ballpark railing while catching a ball thrown by the left fielder.
Hamilton said he had heard Stone ask for a ball earlier in the game:
Yeah, when I glanced up there, like I said, the first person I saw was the dad and the boy. It looked like somebody who would love to have a baseball. They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction.
Hamilton said he remembers the incident as though it were in slow-motion, and he listened to the screams of young Cooper Stone afterwards and knew that Shannon was hurt badly.
That’s one of the main things I remember. It’s definitely on my mind and in my heart. I can’t stop praying today for them.
Hamilton is playing tonight against the A’s, which certainly seems like a better idea for him than sitting around and thinking about last night’s events. He said he intends to reach out to the Stone family after things calm down.
Absolutely. I haven’t yet. I’m going to give this situation time to, you hate to think sink in, but I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now. I can’t imagine. All I can think about is praying for them and knowing that God has a plan. You don’t always know what that plan is when those things happen, but you will.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the full transcript.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)