Jul 8, 2011, 1:16 AM EDT
Corey Brock of MLB.com passes along word that Padres catcher Nick Hundley is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his right elbow and could miss more than a month while in rehab and recovery mode.
Hundley began feeling discomfort in the elbow near the end of June and apparently underwent a battery of tests Thursday that led team physicians to recommend a surgical procedure. A 27-year-old former second-round draft pick, he’s turned in a disappointing .222/.302/.327 batting line this season with three home runs in 172 plate appearances.
The Padres will promote catcher Luis Martinez from Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The 26-year-old doesn’t have much pop, but he’s hit .313/.357/.403 in 38 minor league games this year and should provide serviceable depth behind the plate. Rob Johnson, presumably, will see most of the available starts.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)