Jul 8, 2011, 1:16 AM EDT
Corey Brock of MLB.com passes along word that Padres catcher Nick Hundley is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his right elbow and could miss more than a month while in rehab and recovery mode.
Hundley began feeling discomfort in the elbow near the end of June and apparently underwent a battery of tests Thursday that led team physicians to recommend a surgical procedure. A 27-year-old former second-round draft pick, he’s turned in a disappointing .222/.302/.327 batting line this season with three home runs in 172 plate appearances.
The Padres will promote catcher Luis Martinez from Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The 26-year-old doesn’t have much pop, but he’s hit .313/.357/.403 in 38 minor league games this year and should provide serviceable depth behind the plate. Rob Johnson, presumably, will see most of the available starts.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)