Jul 8, 2011, 1:16 AM EDT
Corey Brock of MLB.com passes along word that Padres catcher Nick Hundley is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his right elbow and could miss more than a month while in rehab and recovery mode.
Hundley began feeling discomfort in the elbow near the end of June and apparently underwent a battery of tests Thursday that led team physicians to recommend a surgical procedure. A 27-year-old former second-round draft pick, he’s turned in a disappointing .222/.302/.327 batting line this season with three home runs in 172 plate appearances.
The Padres will promote catcher Luis Martinez from Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The 26-year-old doesn’t have much pop, but he’s hit .313/.357/.403 in 38 minor league games this year and should provide serviceable depth behind the plate. Rob Johnson, presumably, will see most of the available starts.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 16
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 24
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8