Jul 8, 2011, 1:16 AM EDT
Corey Brock of MLB.com passes along word that Padres catcher Nick Hundley is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his right elbow and could miss more than a month while in rehab and recovery mode.
Hundley began feeling discomfort in the elbow near the end of June and apparently underwent a battery of tests Thursday that led team physicians to recommend a surgical procedure. A 27-year-old former second-round draft pick, he’s turned in a disappointing .222/.302/.327 batting line this season with three home runs in 172 plate appearances.
The Padres will promote catcher Luis Martinez from Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The 26-year-old doesn’t have much pop, but he’s hit .313/.357/.403 in 38 minor league games this year and should provide serviceable depth behind the plate. Rob Johnson, presumably, will see most of the available starts.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)