Jul 8, 2011, 1:16 AM EDT
Corey Brock of MLB.com passes along word that Padres catcher Nick Hundley is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday on his right elbow and could miss more than a month while in rehab and recovery mode.
Hundley began feeling discomfort in the elbow near the end of June and apparently underwent a battery of tests Thursday that led team physicians to recommend a surgical procedure. A 27-year-old former second-round draft pick, he’s turned in a disappointing .222/.302/.327 batting line this season with three home runs in 172 plate appearances.
The Padres will promote catcher Luis Martinez from Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The 26-year-old doesn’t have much pop, but he’s hit .313/.357/.403 in 38 minor league games this year and should provide serviceable depth behind the plate. Rob Johnson, presumably, will see most of the available starts.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)