Jul 8, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
The Phillies were dealt another blow on the injury front before tonight’s game, as Placido Polanco confirmed that he was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back.
Polanco has begun taking an anti-inflammatory medication, but if the pills don’t help ease the discomfort in his back, he will be treated with an anti-inflammatory injection. The silver lining here is that while Polanco is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game tonight, he told CSNPhilly.com that he hasn’t ruled out playing this weekend against the division-rival Braves or even in the All-Star Game.
Polanco was voted in as the starting third baseman to represent the National League in next week’s All-Star Game. He’s hitting .274/.331/.346 with four homers and 39 RBI this season, but has a .216 batting average and .537 OPS since the start of May.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)