Jul 8, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
The Phillies were dealt another blow on the injury front before tonight’s game, as Placido Polanco confirmed that he was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back.
Polanco has begun taking an anti-inflammatory medication, but if the pills don’t help ease the discomfort in his back, he will be treated with an anti-inflammatory injection. The silver lining here is that while Polanco is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game tonight, he told CSNPhilly.com that he hasn’t ruled out playing this weekend against the division-rival Braves or even in the All-Star Game.
Polanco was voted in as the starting third baseman to represent the National League in next week’s All-Star Game. He’s hitting .274/.331/.346 with four homers and 39 RBI this season, but has a .216 batting average and .537 OPS since the start of May.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)