Jul 8, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
The Phillies were dealt another blow on the injury front before tonight’s game, as Placido Polanco confirmed that he was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back.
Polanco has begun taking an anti-inflammatory medication, but if the pills don’t help ease the discomfort in his back, he will be treated with an anti-inflammatory injection. The silver lining here is that while Polanco is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game tonight, he told CSNPhilly.com that he hasn’t ruled out playing this weekend against the division-rival Braves or even in the All-Star Game.
Polanco was voted in as the starting third baseman to represent the National League in next week’s All-Star Game. He’s hitting .274/.331/.346 with four homers and 39 RBI this season, but has a .216 batting average and .537 OPS since the start of May.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54