Jul 8, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
The Phillies were dealt another blow on the injury front before tonight’s game, as Placido Polanco confirmed that he was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back.
Polanco has begun taking an anti-inflammatory medication, but if the pills don’t help ease the discomfort in his back, he will be treated with an anti-inflammatory injection. The silver lining here is that while Polanco is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game tonight, he told CSNPhilly.com that he hasn’t ruled out playing this weekend against the division-rival Braves or even in the All-Star Game.
Polanco was voted in as the starting third baseman to represent the National League in next week’s All-Star Game. He’s hitting .274/.331/.346 with four homers and 39 RBI this season, but has a .216 batting average and .537 OPS since the start of May.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)