Jul 8, 2011, 2:25 PM EST
The Rangers will play their scheduled game Friday against the Athletics, but only after lowering the flags at Rangers Ballpark and observing a moment of silence in memory of Shannon Stone, the firefighter who died after falling over a railing during Thursday night’s game.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan is expected to discuss the matter at a news conference this afternoon.
Some have suggested the Rangers postpone tonight’s game, but it’s hard to see how that would do Stone’s family any good. It would just inconvenience and disappoint the 35,000-40,000 fans set to attend the contest.
There hasn’t been any word yet on whether Josh Hamilton will play tonight.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)