Jul 8, 2011, 2:25 PM EST
The Rangers will play their scheduled game Friday against the Athletics, but only after lowering the flags at Rangers Ballpark and observing a moment of silence in memory of Shannon Stone, the firefighter who died after falling over a railing during Thursday night’s game.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan is expected to discuss the matter at a news conference this afternoon.
Some have suggested the Rangers postpone tonight’s game, but it’s hard to see how that would do Stone’s family any good. It would just inconvenience and disappoint the 35,000-40,000 fans set to attend the contest.
There hasn’t been any word yet on whether Josh Hamilton will play tonight.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120