Rangers set up memorial fund for Shannon Stone’s family

Jul 8, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT

Rangers Ballpark AP

At a news conference Friday afternoon, Rangers president Nolan Ryan announced that the team would create and make a “substantial” donation to a memorial fund for Shannon Stone’s family.

Stone, a 39-year-old firefighter, was killed Thursday night after tumbling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark.

“It’s one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen at a ballpark,” Ryan said. “As a father and a grandfather, my heart goes out to that family.”

The Dallas Morning News has a several more notes from the news conference, including mentions from Ryan that any player who needs time off to recover emotionally will get it and that both the Rangers and A’s will wear black armbands in Stone’s honor tonight.

Ryan also said that he wasn’t sure whether Josh Hamilton would play tonight, but “I have no reason to think that he won’t” play.

6:10 p.m. EDT: Here’s the link to the memorial account set up by the Rangers:

Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation Memorial Account in Honor of Shannon Stone

1. therantdfw - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I was at the game last year…a year and a day ago when the guy fell 30 feet from the 2nd deck and survived…there was something surreal about that night. Then this. Guy drove 150 miles to go to the game with his son…awful. Just awful.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Between this and drafting the paralyzed player, seems like the Rangers have some great people working for them. Bravo

3. dlindstedt2 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yes this was tragic, and shouldn’t have happened.

But it did. I feel bad for the family, but to glorify this idiot for trying to catch a foul ball, come on. This was a freak accident. It happens everywhere. Love it or hate it, but its the dang truth.

• hurls187 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM

way to go, asshole of the day

• dlindstedt2 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Yes because I have the balls to actually say what it is necessary.

• saucepaws - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Is that you purdueman? Calling the guy an idiot is more than a little ridiculous you soulless asshole.

4. zahm08 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Anyone see the video clip with the A’s announcers laughing at the guy? Total embarrassment for that franchise.

• trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM

You got a link?

5. betoven1 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Why in the world would you (dlindstedt2) call Shannon Stone an idiot. How about showing some respect for him and his family. Could you look at his wife and son and say what you said? Come on have some class.

• dlindstedt2 - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM

HE LEANED OVER A LEDGE… he took a risk to catch a ball. And if you read, I said its a tragic thing. But shit like this happens all the time. It was a freak freaking accident. I dont see charities and stuff go up for other freak accidents. I am sorry but if you are going to take the risk of what he was doing, you deserve the consequences.

6. txrangers90 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM

the city of Brownwood has set it up so you can make donations here as well

• txrangers90 - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM

here is the link to the one the rangers set up

7. mississippimusicman - Jul 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but if you’re a big business and something like this happens on your property, the math is simple. Find out roughly what the guy makes a year, multiply it by about how many years he had left until retirement, round up to the nearest 50 grand, and make a deposit in that amount. Then, it’s just hoping not to get sued. This isn’t necessarily generosity on Nolan Ryan’s part, it’s one part PR and about 50 parts not-getting-your-pants-sued-off, with an unknown amount of actual emotion sprinkled on top as a garnish. No one can know their true motivation, but this memorial fund was going to be set up whether or not anyone felt any true compassion for Shannon Stone’s family.
    I hope that what happened was that Nolan Ryan had some time alone to reflect on the situation, and was convicted within himself to make this happen, but I know that even if that’s not what happened, the family’s needs would be provided for by the Rangers sooner rather than later.

8. adamfromchicago - Jul 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I would like to give my condolences to this young mans whole family. When I read the story today on Yahoo news tears started to roll down my cheeks and I just couldn’t help it. This is one of the saddest things that could happen to a family or to anyone. I just can’t stop thinking about his little son and what he went and is going through right now. I just can’t imagine it. I know I cant do much or say much to help the family with the pain their feeling right now. But if there is anything please feel free to contact me @ freebbshyne@yahoo.com. Again, I’m really sorry for your loss……

9. willcoop - Jul 8, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Something else comes to mind as well. Hamilton is a recovering addict and it’s something like this that can push him back over that line to start using again. I pray that he has the help and resources to get him through this. He is truly one of the games elite and really a nice guy. I’m sure he has replayed this over and over again for the last 24 hours. He will be forever linked with this family from now on. It’s a hortiffic thought to see your parent killed or severly injured right before your eyes, especially at a place that is considered Americas pastime. Prayers go out to the Stone and Hamilton Family.

10. betoven1 - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I just finished Josh’s book Beyond Belief. It is an excellent book, especially if you are an addict as well. If you think you may have a problem with an addiction, this book will really open your eyes and could propel you to seek help before you do things that will cause you lots of problems.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)