Jul 8, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
At a news conference Friday afternoon, Rangers president Nolan Ryan announced that the team would create and make a “substantial” donation to a memorial fund for Shannon Stone’s family.
Stone, a 39-year-old firefighter, was killed Thursday night after tumbling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark.
“It’s one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen at a ballpark,” Ryan said. “As a father and a grandfather, my heart goes out to that family.”
The Dallas Morning News has a several more notes from the news conference, including mentions from Ryan that any player who needs time off to recover emotionally will get it and that both the Rangers and A’s will wear black armbands in Stone’s honor tonight.
Ryan also said that he wasn’t sure whether Josh Hamilton would play tonight, but “I have no reason to think that he won’t” play.
6:10 p.m. EDT: Here’s the link to the memorial account set up by the Rangers:
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)