Report: Dodgers fire hopeful owner Steve Garvey

Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 PM EST

Steve Garvey Getty Images

Stunning, isn’t it, that lobbying to buy your boss’s business that he has no interest in selling might undermine your job security?

Steve Garvey had been affiliated with the Dodgers for about 30 of the last 40 years, but he’s out on his own now after being let go by Frank McCourt, The Associated Press reported Friday.

The reason seems obvious: Garvey has partnered with another former Dodger, Orel Hershiser, to form a group that’s hopeful of buying the Dodgers if McCourt is forced to sell.

Garvey had spent the last 15 years working in Community Affairs for the Dodgers, his job mostly involving smiling in front of cameras, shaking hands with sponsors and maybe making some phone calls to season-ticket holders.

Neither Garvey nor the Dodgers have commented on the reported dismissal.

12:50 a.m. EDT: Garvey confirmed to 710 ESPN Radio that he was fired. He didn’t have anything else to say on the subject.

2:00 a.m. EDT: Garvey broke his silence late Friday night, expressing his disappointment with the Dodgers’ decision.

In an email statement to The AP, he said:

I was always clear with management as to the exploratory ownership group I’ve put together. In fact, I twice offered a significant cash infusion to help the team. I met with team officials on multiple occasions, and was given parameters of what was appropriate for me to say regarding my investment group. I feel I stayed within those parameters.

Garvey also stated that whether he’s an employee or not, he’ll always be a Dodger.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM

And this helps Frank in the court of public opinion, or any court, how?

2. 4d3fect - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM

” What the hell is this? We still have Garvey on the payroll?”

• quintjs - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:04 AM

In fairness to McCourt there is plenty of evidence he thinks that about all Dodgers employees.

3. goforthanddie - Jul 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I hope Orel/Garvey end up buying the team so Steve can personally throw McCourt off the premises.

4. firejimcadwell - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Love to see Steve slam one of those big ole forearms right up against McCourt. The Dodgers will be in much better hands in the 6 & 55 group.

5. pjmarn6 - Jul 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I doubt that Orel/Garvey have enough to bid for the Dodgers but…..if the present players, coaches, managers chip in then they would be playing for themselves and that would be a great motive to play better and even WIN!

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I am 100% sure that Orel and Garvey have more capital than McCourt used to “buy” the team.

6. essfjay - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:59 AM

for the love of god selig get the mccourt family out of baseball asap. this man is killing the dodgers. i pray to god orel & garvey or maybe cuban take over as new owners to revive this once great
    franchise.

7. denverdude7 - Jul 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM

The name Dodgers used to be synomous with the word class.
    Used to be…

8. tominma - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM

When Frank McCourt was lobbying to buy the Red Sox and build a new stadium on the waterfront, a lot of people were skeptical about him and his motives. Good thing he didnt get the team. And if his bled the team of money to live a lavish lifestyle, he would have been crucified by the Boston press. He ruined the Dodgers, and I hope he’s forced to sell! “Dem Bums” deserve better!

9. mrznyc - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Is no one investigating why Selig alowed McCourt to buy the team in the first place – It seems to me there must have been more qualified buyers available – Could it be the fix was in?

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:26 AM

The fix is always in when a MLB franchise changes hands. I’m actually pretty sure Henry/Werner/Luchino didn’t actually put forth the highest bid on the Sox but Werner and Luchino had been involved with teams in the past (in the case of Werner, disastrously) and thus Bud gave them the team. Buying and selling a major league team isn’t really about who offers the most money it’s about finding a price and a person/group that the commissioner and the other owners will approve.

10. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Garvey still hasn’t learned to keep his wallet in his pants.

11. rufref - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM

This whole Dodger mess is revenge for moving out of Brooklyn

12. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

We just got rid of that moron and you want to quote him? You could do us all a big favor by disappearing yourself.

13. fearlessleader - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

McCourt is an unmitigated disaster, but let’s be clear: Garvey would likely be no better at the helm of the Dodgers. Here’s a 2006 LA Times article detailing his lifelong troubles with money, honesty, and integrity:

(I wrote about a few other Garvey-related annoyances as well: http://ablogoftheirown.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/mr-clean/)

I’ll be happy when he and McCourt are BOTH far away from the club.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester