Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
Stunning, isn’t it, that lobbying to buy your boss’s business that he has no interest in selling might undermine your job security?
Steve Garvey had been affiliated with the Dodgers for about 30 of the last 40 years, but he’s out on his own now after being let go by Frank McCourt, The Associated Press reported Friday.
The reason seems obvious: Garvey has partnered with another former Dodger, Orel Hershiser, to form a group that’s hopeful of buying the Dodgers if McCourt is forced to sell.
Garvey had spent the last 15 years working in Community Affairs for the Dodgers, his job mostly involving smiling in front of cameras, shaking hands with sponsors and maybe making some phone calls to season-ticket holders.
Neither Garvey nor the Dodgers have commented on the reported dismissal.
12:50 a.m. EDT: Garvey confirmed to 710 ESPN Radio that he was fired. He didn’t have anything else to say on the subject.
2:00 a.m. EDT: Garvey broke his silence late Friday night, expressing his disappointment with the Dodgers’ decision.
In an email statement to The AP, he said:
I was always clear with management as to the exploratory ownership group I’ve put together. In fact, I twice offered a significant cash infusion to help the team. I met with team officials on multiple occasions, and was given parameters of what was appropriate for me to say regarding my investment group. I feel I stayed within those parameters.
Garvey also stated that whether he’s an employee or not, he’ll always be a Dodger.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 3
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 89
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (89)