Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 PM EST
Stunning, isn’t it, that lobbying to buy your boss’s business that he has no interest in selling might undermine your job security?
Steve Garvey had been affiliated with the Dodgers for about 30 of the last 40 years, but he’s out on his own now after being let go by Frank McCourt, The Associated Press reported Friday.
The reason seems obvious: Garvey has partnered with another former Dodger, Orel Hershiser, to form a group that’s hopeful of buying the Dodgers if McCourt is forced to sell.
Garvey had spent the last 15 years working in Community Affairs for the Dodgers, his job mostly involving smiling in front of cameras, shaking hands with sponsors and maybe making some phone calls to season-ticket holders.
Neither Garvey nor the Dodgers have commented on the reported dismissal.
12:50 a.m. EDT: Garvey confirmed to 710 ESPN Radio that he was fired. He didn’t have anything else to say on the subject.
2:00 a.m. EDT: Garvey broke his silence late Friday night, expressing his disappointment with the Dodgers’ decision.
In an email statement to The AP, he said:
I was always clear with management as to the exploratory ownership group I’ve put together. In fact, I twice offered a significant cash infusion to help the team. I met with team officials on multiple occasions, and was given parameters of what was appropriate for me to say regarding my investment group. I feel I stayed within those parameters.
Garvey also stated that whether he’s an employee or not, he’ll always be a Dodger.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)