Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
Stunning, isn’t it, that lobbying to buy your boss’s business that he has no interest in selling might undermine your job security?
Steve Garvey had been affiliated with the Dodgers for about 30 of the last 40 years, but he’s out on his own now after being let go by Frank McCourt, The Associated Press reported Friday.
The reason seems obvious: Garvey has partnered with another former Dodger, Orel Hershiser, to form a group that’s hopeful of buying the Dodgers if McCourt is forced to sell.
Garvey had spent the last 15 years working in Community Affairs for the Dodgers, his job mostly involving smiling in front of cameras, shaking hands with sponsors and maybe making some phone calls to season-ticket holders.
Neither Garvey nor the Dodgers have commented on the reported dismissal.
12:50 a.m. EDT: Garvey confirmed to 710 ESPN Radio that he was fired. He didn’t have anything else to say on the subject.
2:00 a.m. EDT: Garvey broke his silence late Friday night, expressing his disappointment with the Dodgers’ decision.
In an email statement to The AP, he said:
I was always clear with management as to the exploratory ownership group I’ve put together. In fact, I twice offered a significant cash infusion to help the team. I met with team officials on multiple occasions, and was given parameters of what was appropriate for me to say regarding my investment group. I feel I stayed within those parameters.
Garvey also stated that whether he’s an employee or not, he’ll always be a Dodger.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)