Jul 8, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
Scott Boras couldn’t get impending free-agent Jose Reyes in the fold, but he appears to be courting another current Met.
Rodriguez is currently represented by Paul Kinzer, but there are indications that he is at least weighing his options. According to Costa, K-Rod has asked other Boras clients on the Mets’ roster whether they would recommend him as an agent. And before last night’s game, Rodriguez reportedly showed one teammate a text message from an unidentified agent — not Scott Boras — who was courting also him.
Rodriguez wouldn’t comment on the matter, but Boras acknowledged that he has spoken with the Mets’ closer. However, he downplayed the serious of the talks.
“Players talk to me all the time about a lot of things,” he said. “You’re there to talk to them, because they’ve never met you, they’ve heard about you, so athletes just talk.”
“I’ve talked to 10 or 15 of the Mets when they’re out here, and a lot of them I don’t represent,” Boras said. “I wouldn’t read anything into those things.”
Rodriguez is in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $37 million contract. His $17.5 million option for 2012 vests if he finishes 55 games this season. There’s a good chance that he’ll serve in a set-up role for a contender if (or more likely, when) the Mets trade him, so it’s safe to say he’s preparing for life as a free agent.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)