Jul 8, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
Scott Boras couldn’t get impending free-agent Jose Reyes in the fold, but he appears to be courting another current Met.
Rodriguez is currently represented by Paul Kinzer, but there are indications that he is at least weighing his options. According to Costa, K-Rod has asked other Boras clients on the Mets’ roster whether they would recommend him as an agent. And before last night’s game, Rodriguez reportedly showed one teammate a text message from an unidentified agent — not Scott Boras — who was courting also him.
Rodriguez wouldn’t comment on the matter, but Boras acknowledged that he has spoken with the Mets’ closer. However, he downplayed the serious of the talks.
“Players talk to me all the time about a lot of things,” he said. “You’re there to talk to them, because they’ve never met you, they’ve heard about you, so athletes just talk.”
“I’ve talked to 10 or 15 of the Mets when they’re out here, and a lot of them I don’t represent,” Boras said. “I wouldn’t read anything into those things.”
Rodriguez is in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $37 million contract. His $17.5 million option for 2012 vests if he finishes 55 games this season. There’s a good chance that he’ll serve in a set-up role for a contender if (or more likely, when) the Mets trade him, so it’s safe to say he’s preparing for life as a free agent.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 21
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon