Jul 8, 2011, 11:44 AM EST
Scott Boras couldn’t get impending free-agent Jose Reyes in the fold, but he appears to be courting another current Met.
Rodriguez is currently represented by Paul Kinzer, but there are indications that he is at least weighing his options. According to Costa, K-Rod has asked other Boras clients on the Mets’ roster whether they would recommend him as an agent. And before last night’s game, Rodriguez reportedly showed one teammate a text message from an unidentified agent — not Scott Boras — who was courting also him.
Rodriguez wouldn’t comment on the matter, but Boras acknowledged that he has spoken with the Mets’ closer. However, he downplayed the serious of the talks.
“Players talk to me all the time about a lot of things,” he said. “You’re there to talk to them, because they’ve never met you, they’ve heard about you, so athletes just talk.”
“I’ve talked to 10 or 15 of the Mets when they’re out here, and a lot of them I don’t represent,” Boras said. “I wouldn’t read anything into those things.”
Rodriguez is in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $37 million contract. His $17.5 million option for 2012 vests if he finishes 55 games this season. There’s a good chance that he’ll serve in a set-up role for a contender if (or more likely, when) the Mets trade him, so it’s safe to say he’s preparing for life as a free agent.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)