Shane Victorino placed on disabled list with thumb sprain

Jul 8, 2011, 12:56 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies  v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

According to CSNPhilly.com, the Phillies have placed Shane Victorino on the 15-day disabled list due to a ligament sprain in his right thumb.

Victorino jammed his thumb on an awkward fall in center field against the Blue Jays on July 3. He’ll be eligible to return during the second series following the All-Star break.

Victorino was awarded the final spot on the National League roster yesterday by winning the All-Star Final Vote balloting, but now Giants manager Bruce Bochy will be tasked with naming a replacement. Andre Ethier finished in second place with the fan vote, so he’s the most logical choice here, though I wouldn’t complain if Andrew McCutchen got his just due. Ah, who am I kidding, he’ll probably take Barry Zito.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM

This just sucks. Do they not have anybody outside of Ibanez that can stay healthy? Seriously, every week it is something else. I mean, he gets his spikes caught in that wretched turf, falls on his face and sprains his thumb. What the hell.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Yeah, this isn’t good. I guess like other teams, the Phillies are bombarded with injuries. With this injury, I suspect Mayberry Jr. will be playing centerfield most of the time.

We need the (3) aces to pitch like they are capable this upcoming series.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I don’t mind Mayberry Jr. Despite the error the other day, he plays a good CF. Shane was really settling into the 5 hole and provided somebody behind Utley and Howard who kills left handers. I can’t even imagine what line-up Chollie will throw out there this weekend even if Polly is available. My guess is that he puts Chooch a 6 and just rolls with the 3 lefties at 3-4-5.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Good Doctor,

I suspect that the majority of the time you will see Mayberry Jr. bat 5th. After all, what’s his other options? Putting Ibanez back at 5th is a detriment to the team and he knows it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Oh, I agree…I am not enthralled with the idea of Ibanez batting 5th either, particularly with the thought of Venters coming in to face the heart of the order in a late game situation. I just don’t know that Jr. is a better alternative. So, I guess you are thinking Rollins, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Jr, Ibanez, Brown, Ruiz, Ace?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Yes, Doctor. That lineup is how I see it playing out. I would probably put Brown 5th if it’s against right-handers. Otherwise, it would be Mayberry Jr.

As I see it, Victorino’s injury is not good at all for the semblance of this lineup.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Agreed…Victorino at the 5 spot brought balance to the line-up. I see them going with Rollins, Polanco (Orr, Martinez), Utley, Howard, Ibanez, Ruiz, Brown, Mayberry. If the situation arises where they face Venters with the heart of the line-up, pinch hit Francisco for Ibanez.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Biceps,
        Well, we were both wrong. Get a load of this line-up.
        Rollins, Mayberry, Utley, Howard, Ibanez, Chooch, Brown, Valdez, Doc.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Oh, if anybody cares the corresponding roster move was to recall Pete Orr.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Did they recall Pete Orr?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Yeah, Orr is back. I don’t mind him either. He can’t really hit much but he has an OK glove and is fast. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him pinch run at least once this series.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, I don’t mind them recalling Pete Orr as a temporary stop gap. I would tell you though that I am in favor of sending David Herndon down and bringing up a large flamethrower right handed pitcher named Matthew Schwimmer. He’s having a great year in AAA and deserves a look. Good relief help, I believe.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Yeah, I was wrong about Herndon. He is not ready yet. I do still think that he will be a contributor in the bullpen in the coming years, though. I follow the Phillies minor league affiliates quite closely and it does appear that Schwimmer is having a great year. Sub 2 ERA, big arm, and I think he is 6′ 8″. They say the knock on him is that he struggles with lefties. Honestly, if they were to call Schwimmer up now, I would rather send down Carpenter.

2. The Common Man - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Are any Dodger fans actually paying close enough attention this year to care if Ethier makes it? McCutchen, please.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Agreed. The NL needs another CF anyway.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Common Man,

What is your take on the internet vote for the extra player? I think you know my opinion, which is that it is unnecessary. Does it really matter?

• dodger88 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I like to suffer so I am paying attention. Nonetheless, it should be McCutchen.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM

McCutchen please!

4. spudchukar - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Yes, McCutchen deserves a shot, but should any NL team not have an available Albert Pujols present?

5. philly56 - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM

What?! The 5 o’clock news lastnight showed him meeting with the mayor of Philadelphia yesterday as he put in an ASG vote for Victorino, and Shane wasn’t wearing a cast and said he felt better. This was only like 24 hours ago.

He also met with two people hired by a radio station to vote for him around the clock over 3-4 days – so sucks to be those guys today.  All that effort and he won the spot but now it’s all for nothing. Ouch.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I know. I had heard that he was on DNL saying that he was going to play this weekend. Don’t know what happened.

• FC - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I prefer Shane sit out the AS game and heal properly (Actually I prefer he had never fallen in that game Sunday, I’m pretty sure he was going to nail that DP). I wish Polanco would sit it out. It’s one thing to play healthy. But if you’re hurting take the opportunity to rest and heal dammit! He’s done the AS before. As a matter of fact he should have taken time to heal in late May – early June. His performance has taken a nose-dive since the end of April. It’s long overdue.

6. FC - Jul 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Considering that the Red Sox – Phillies series was hyped as a World Series preview. Considering the current record of both Phillies and Braves teams and their awesome pitching staffs, is it over the top to say this is an NLCS preview?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Possibly. I believe that this series is certainly bigger than the Phils/Bosox series. We will see.

7. cup0pizza - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Better be Ethier.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Wow…no gloating over another person’s injury or pain? Who are you, and what have you done with the real cup0pizza?

8. dodger88 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Just announced – it’s Ethier.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate