Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Every bit of news is more depressing than the last.
Suzann Stone, the wife of the firefighter killed after falling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night, said Shannon Stone had bought his six-year-old son a new glove prior to last night’s game and was hoping to catch a ball to give to the boy, Cooper.
Suzann went on to tell The Associated Press that Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball, is Cooper’s favorite player.
Also, A’s reliever Brad Ziegler was on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN radio this morning, talking about what he witnessed from the visiting team’s bullpen near where Stone fell.
According to Ziegler, Stone was conscious following the fall, but he was bleeding from the head and his arms appeared to be broken.
“You could hear him saying, ‘Please, someone, please get my son, please check on my son, he’s up there all by himself,'” Ziegler said.
“And one of the paramedics that was right there said, ‘Sir, we’ll get your son, your son is going to be OK, don’t worry about your son.'”
Stone passed away after being taken to the hospital. The medical examiner said Friday that the cause was blunt force trauma.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)