Shannon Stone’s death just keeps getting sadder

Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT

Rangers Ballpark AP

Every bit of news is more depressing than the last.

Suzann Stone, the wife of the firefighter killed after falling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night, said Shannon Stone had bought his six-year-old son a new glove prior to last night’s game and was hoping to catch a ball to give to the boy, Cooper.

Suzann went on to tell The Associated Press that Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball, is Cooper’s favorite player.

Also, A’s reliever Brad Ziegler was on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN radio this morning, talking about what he witnessed from the visiting team’s bullpen near where Stone fell.

According to Ziegler, Stone was conscious following the fall, but he was bleeding from the head and his arms appeared to be broken.

“You could hear him saying, ‘Please, someone, please get my son, please check on my son, he’s up there all by himself,'” Ziegler said.

“And one of the paramedics that was right there said, ‘Sir, we’ll get your son, your son is going to be OK, don’t worry about your son.'”

Stone passed away after being taken to the hospital.  The medical examiner said Friday that the cause was blunt force trauma.

1. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Lots of grieving will be done by Stones family , friends , along with Josh Hamilton . He did absolutely nothing wrong but will wonder if he could have tossed the ball harder or not at all , in my opinion it would be pretty neat to see Hamilton become a big part of that little boys life , and not replace his father ( because no one can do that ) but act as a father figure . I can see them getting through this together . Tragic news.

• trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Your comment makes me think of that story where Ray Lewis and some other football player have stepped up to become a large part of some boy’s life who lost his father.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM

That is exactly what I thought. The Ray Lewis thing is a great example. He is caring for the boy who survived his mother driving all of her children into the Hudson river earlier this year. The boy was the only one of the siblings to manage to climb out before the car sunk. Ray is the man for coming through with that. I think Hamilton would find relief in a similar scenario.

I hate hearing about these type of tragedies. Just sucks.

2. trevorb06 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM

:'(

3. halladaysbiceps - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM

This is just horrible. I’m tearing up as I write this comment.

I am so sorry for your loss, Mrs. Stone. Peace be with you through this trying time. Your loss cannot be replaced.

• nocryinginbaseball07 - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM

You are so right. Puts EVERYTHING else into perspective.

4. Phillies Homer - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM

So many “what ifs” can be said and will probably be looked back upon by so many different people… and not just “what if Josh Hamilton threw it harder”… but what if Conor Jackson didn’t foul it off… what if Derek Holland threw a different pitch… what if the ball boy (girl) was able to snag the foul ball… what if somebody screamed louder for the foul ball and Josh Hamilton threw it to them, what if there would have been someone to scream louder but they got stuck at work, what if that glove wasn’t purchased, what if Michael Young was Cooper’s favorite player.

Just a crazy horrible situation where all of those “what ifs” aligned in a way that lead to this tragic accident.

5. acheron2112 - Jul 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM

oh man. this is the most depressing thing I’ve read for months.

6. roycethebaseballhack - Jul 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

There is no angle to this entire story that isn’t heartbreaking. I noticed watching the game that, even though he drove in four runs, Josh Hamilton had an air of distraction about him. I had no idea about this happening until after the game, when Nolan was addressing the press.
    I work right next to the stadium in Arlington. They have all the flags at half-mast, today.

You know, we Texans love our baseball, we love our food and we love our music. But, we love our fellow Texans even more.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate