Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Every bit of news is more depressing than the last.
Suzann Stone, the wife of the firefighter killed after falling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night, said Shannon Stone had bought his six-year-old son a new glove prior to last night’s game and was hoping to catch a ball to give to the boy, Cooper.
Suzann went on to tell The Associated Press that Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball, is Cooper’s favorite player.
Also, A’s reliever Brad Ziegler was on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN radio this morning, talking about what he witnessed from the visiting team’s bullpen near where Stone fell.
According to Ziegler, Stone was conscious following the fall, but he was bleeding from the head and his arms appeared to be broken.
“You could hear him saying, ‘Please, someone, please get my son, please check on my son, he’s up there all by himself,’” Ziegler said.
“And one of the paramedics that was right there said, ‘Sir, we’ll get your son, your son is going to be OK, don’t worry about your son.’”
Stone passed away after being taken to the hospital. The medical examiner said Friday that the cause was blunt force trauma.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 40
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 70
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault