Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 PM EST
Every bit of news is more depressing than the last.
Suzann Stone, the wife of the firefighter killed after falling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night, said Shannon Stone had bought his six-year-old son a new glove prior to last night’s game and was hoping to catch a ball to give to the boy, Cooper.
Suzann went on to tell The Associated Press that Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball, is Cooper’s favorite player.
Also, A’s reliever Brad Ziegler was on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN radio this morning, talking about what he witnessed from the visiting team’s bullpen near where Stone fell.
According to Ziegler, Stone was conscious following the fall, but he was bleeding from the head and his arms appeared to be broken.
“You could hear him saying, ‘Please, someone, please get my son, please check on my son, he’s up there all by himself,'” Ziegler said.
“And one of the paramedics that was right there said, ‘Sir, we’ll get your son, your son is going to be OK, don’t worry about your son.'”
Stone passed away after being taken to the hospital. The medical examiner said Friday that the cause was blunt force trauma.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)