Jul 8, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Every bit of news is more depressing than the last.
Suzann Stone, the wife of the firefighter killed after falling over the railing at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night, said Shannon Stone had bought his six-year-old son a new glove prior to last night’s game and was hoping to catch a ball to give to the boy, Cooper.
Suzann went on to tell The Associated Press that Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball, is Cooper’s favorite player.
Also, A’s reliever Brad Ziegler was on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN radio this morning, talking about what he witnessed from the visiting team’s bullpen near where Stone fell.
According to Ziegler, Stone was conscious following the fall, but he was bleeding from the head and his arms appeared to be broken.
“You could hear him saying, ‘Please, someone, please get my son, please check on my son, he’s up there all by himself,'” Ziegler said.
“And one of the paramedics that was right there said, ‘Sir, we’ll get your son, your son is going to be OK, don’t worry about your son.'”
Stone passed away after being taken to the hospital. The medical examiner said Friday that the cause was blunt force trauma.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)