Sheriff Joe Arpaio to use the All-Star Game to draw attention to himself

Jul 8, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT

Joe Arpaio

For those of you who are unaware, Joe Arpaio is the sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona.  He’s famous for being a shameless self-promoter, having branded himself “America’s Toughest Sheriff,” doing things like putting prisoners in tents, demagoging the illegal immigration issue and all manner of other stuff.

This stuff isn’t mere harmless grandstanding, however, inasmuch as he has been investigated on numerous occasions for violating prisoners’ civil rights, abusing his power and being a general race-baiting jagoff.

Well, he wasn’t investigated for that last one. He is a suspect in that regard, however.

His latest gambit? Putting prisoner chain gangs out at the All-Star Game in Phoenix next week:

A group of inmates from the sheriff’s holding area for undocumented immigrants, all of whom were convicted of DUI, will join American male and female chains of DUI offenders to send a message about the perils of drunken driving when they pick up trash outside Chase Field next week, Arpaio said.

If someone draws another message about the legal pitfalls of undocumented immigration, all the better.

To the extent this is an anti-illegal immigrant thing it’s pretty weak sauce for Sheriff Joe. When he wants to go after illegals, he does it in a way more straightforward way. This is mostly just an attention whore doing what he does best. And he’s done it before, including at the Super Bowl in Glendale a few years ago.

But whatever the motivation is, I’m sure Bud Selig and all of the other dignitaries at the game are glad that the Midsummer Classic is being used in this way.

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Reflex - Jul 8, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Just to make this absolutely clear: I am a huge baseball fan. I attended the All Star Game in 2001 in Seattle and it was an amazing experience.

Yesterday my employer offered me tickets to the All Star Game this year, and accomodations at a nice hotel while I was there. Part of the package they had picked up as a sponsor.

I turned it down.

I will not contribute one cent to the Arizona economy while they are approving racist and unconstitional laws, promoting jackasses like this Sheriff, or encouraging vigilante justice at the border. Not a penny.

Fortunatly, I’m pretty certain my employer will have tickets next year.

2. TheWizard - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Arizona rocks. I never figured sports blogs would be left wing swamps, but this is where we find ourselves in 2011.

There are consequences for violating the law, people. Don’t like those consequences? Think before acting.

• Reflex - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Its not left wing to believe in the constitution. In fact, that is supposedly the essence of the beliefs of the right. The laws that have been passed have been blocked from implementation for constitutional reasons. A state willing to trash the constitution for xenophobic reasons is not a state that will ever get money from me.

3. browngoat25 - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Does anyone know if players like Adrian Gonzalez are following through with their threats to boycottt?

• browngoat25 - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:55 AM

never mind – I just saw the next post…

4. monkeyjuice313 - Jul 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I live in Michigan, and I am upset at myself for not following the US news a little more closely than I should, but I will read into him a little more. He sounds like a potential Kwame.

We’re working hard to keep the illegal Canadians from getting through our border. We’re doing our part! Of course, they would have to sneak over through Detroit, so….I guess that is our best defense. Maybe we should move Detroit to Arizona? I can’t believe I knocked my own city….but if you can’t laugh at yourself…..

5. jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Either there’s a lot of rich people thumbs downing the progressive posts or there’s a lot of useful idiots serving the interests of the wealthy as opposed to their own.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate