Jul 9, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Alex Rodriguez was diagnosed with a slight meniscus tear in his ailing right knee.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said a decision will be made today whether A-Rod will continue to play through the pain or undergo in-season surgery, which much like fellow veteran third baseman Chipper Jones, would likely cost him a month. Either way, surgery will eventually be necessary.
Rodriguez, 35, is batting .295/.366/.485 with 13 homers and 52 RBI over 344 plate appearances this season, but hasn’t homered since June 11. Eric Chavez was his primary backup to begin the season, but is currently on the disabled list. If A-Rod opts for the surgery, Ramiro Pena and Eduardo Nunez would be in line for most of the playing time at the hot corner. In that case, we should probably expect Brian Cashman to be active at the trade deadline.
On a day where all the attention was supposed to be focused on Derek Jeter‘s pursuit of 3,000 hits, now we’ll all be talking about A-Rod’s dilemma. Typical A-Rod to go ahead and get hurt just to steal the spotlight, right?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)