Jul 9, 2011, 9:14 PM EDT
McCutchen was not anointed as an All-Star after the initial voting and wasn’t given a crack in this week’s “Final Vote” balloting, but he’s plenty deserving with a .292/.393/.500 batting line, 13 homers and 15 steals through 379 plate appearances. The 24-year-old also plays elite-level defense in center field.
A spot was opened on Saturday when Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun bowed out of the Midsummer Classic. He’s missed seven straight games with a sore calf and quadriceps, and might also sit out on Sunday.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)