Jul 9, 2011, 9:14 PM EDT
McCutchen was not anointed as an All-Star after the initial voting and wasn’t given a crack in this week’s “Final Vote” balloting, but he’s plenty deserving with a .292/.393/.500 batting line, 13 homers and 15 steals through 379 plate appearances. The 24-year-old also plays elite-level defense in center field.
A spot was opened on Saturday when Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun bowed out of the Midsummer Classic. He’s missed seven straight games with a sore calf and quadriceps, and might also sit out on Sunday.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)