Jul 9, 2011, 9:35 AM EST
Well, sort of.
That’s the big headline you’ll see in the San Jose Mercury News today. And while it’s technically accurate, it’s not much different from what Carlos Beltran has said all along. Here were his comments before the last night’s game.
“I made it clear to the (Mets) organization: The only way I’ll accept a deal is if it’s to a team that is contending,” Beltran said after finishing a round of batting practice in an indoor cage. “We don’t know what the interest of the Giants is.”
Beltran may get a better sense of the team’s interest over the next few days, as Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he and teammate Jose Reyes are expected to travel to the All-Star Game with the Giants’ representatives, which includes manager Bruce Bochy (who selected Beltran for the game), Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson, Matt Cain and Ryan Vogelsong.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 15
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 23
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 79
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)