Jul 9, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
Well, sort of.
That’s the big headline you’ll see in the San Jose Mercury News today. And while it’s technically accurate, it’s not much different from what Carlos Beltran has said all along. Here were his comments before the last night’s game.
“I made it clear to the (Mets) organization: The only way I’ll accept a deal is if it’s to a team that is contending,” Beltran said after finishing a round of batting practice in an indoor cage. “We don’t know what the interest of the Giants is.”
Beltran may get a better sense of the team’s interest over the next few days, as Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he and teammate Jose Reyes are expected to travel to the All-Star Game with the Giants’ representatives, which includes manager Bruce Bochy (who selected Beltran for the game), Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson, Matt Cain and Ryan Vogelsong.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)