Jul 9, 2011, 9:35 AM EST
Well, sort of.
That’s the big headline you’ll see in the San Jose Mercury News today. And while it’s technically accurate, it’s not much different from what Carlos Beltran has said all along. Here were his comments before the last night’s game.
“I made it clear to the (Mets) organization: The only way I’ll accept a deal is if it’s to a team that is contending,” Beltran said after finishing a round of batting practice in an indoor cage. “We don’t know what the interest of the Giants is.”
Beltran may get a better sense of the team’s interest over the next few days, as Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he and teammate Jose Reyes are expected to travel to the All-Star Game with the Giants’ representatives, which includes manager Bruce Bochy (who selected Beltran for the game), Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson, Matt Cain and Ryan Vogelsong.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)