Jul 9, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Uh-oh. While Carlos Gonzalez returned to the Rockies’ starting lineup last night after missing four straight games with a right wrist contusion, he told Troy Renck of the Denver Post after the game that he felt increased pain as the night wore on.
“In batting practice, you don’t have to swing 100 percent,’’ said Gonzalez. “With game speed, you have to speed it up a little bit. I got a fastball inside and was trying to turn, and it started hurting.’’
Gonzalez went 0-for-4 with a strikeout in his return. He appeared in obvious discomfort after coming up empty-handed on a dive to catch a fly ball off the bat off Mike Morse in the top of the ninth inning. That’s the picture to your right, by the way. CarGo’s comments to Renck after the game weren’t exactly encouraging.
“I was already in pain, so I can’t tell. I was just trying to get a bunt single at the end, my wrist was in so much pain.’’
Gonzalez said he would wait to see how he feels today before determining whether he can stay in the lineup, but it might be best to just shut him down through the All-Star break at this point.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)