Jul 9, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Uh-oh. While Carlos Gonzalez returned to the Rockies’ starting lineup last night after missing four straight games with a right wrist contusion, he told Troy Renck of the Denver Post after the game that he felt increased pain as the night wore on.
“In batting practice, you don’t have to swing 100 percent,’’ said Gonzalez. “With game speed, you have to speed it up a little bit. I got a fastball inside and was trying to turn, and it started hurting.’’
Gonzalez went 0-for-4 with a strikeout in his return. He appeared in obvious discomfort after coming up empty-handed on a dive to catch a fly ball off the bat off Mike Morse in the top of the ninth inning. That’s the picture to your right, by the way. CarGo’s comments to Renck after the game weren’t exactly encouraging.
“I was already in pain, so I can’t tell. I was just trying to get a bunt single at the end, my wrist was in so much pain.’’
Gonzalez said he would wait to see how he feels today before determining whether he can stay in the lineup, but it might be best to just shut him down through the All-Star break at this point.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)