Jul 9, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones will undergo knee surgery this afternoon.
10:57 AM: When an hour for aging third basemen, huh?
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chipper Jones was just placed on the 15-day disabled list with a meniscus tear in his right knee. We can only assume that surgery will come next.
8:55 AM: It appears that the wheels are in motion for Chipper Jones to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee.
Jones told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday that he expects to eventually undergo the procedure, which would cost him around 3-4 weeks.
“If I had to guess right now, I’d say I probably will have to get it done.”
Jones, who went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk in last night’s extra-inning loss against the Phillies, has been trying to hold off on surgery until Martin Prado returns from the disabled list. Prado went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in his third rehab game with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and is expected to rejoin the Braves immediately following the All-Star break.
Jones was named to the National League All-Star team as a reserve, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution following last night’s game that he is considering bowing out. It would make the most sense for him to have the surgery during the break to at least give him a head start on that 3-4 week timetable, so don’t be surprised to hear him go that route over the next couple of days.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games