Jul 9, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones will undergo knee surgery this afternoon.
10:57 AM: When an hour for aging third basemen, huh?
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chipper Jones was just placed on the 15-day disabled list with a meniscus tear in his right knee. We can only assume that surgery will come next.
8:55 AM: It appears that the wheels are in motion for Chipper Jones to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee.
Jones told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday that he expects to eventually undergo the procedure, which would cost him around 3-4 weeks.
“If I had to guess right now, I’d say I probably will have to get it done.”
Jones, who went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk in last night’s extra-inning loss against the Phillies, has been trying to hold off on surgery until Martin Prado returns from the disabled list. Prado went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in his third rehab game with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and is expected to rejoin the Braves immediately following the All-Star break.
Jones was named to the National League All-Star team as a reserve, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution following last night’s game that he is considering bowing out. It would make the most sense for him to have the surgery during the break to at least give him a head start on that 3-4 week timetable, so don’t be surprised to hear him go that route over the next couple of days.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 24
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)