Chipper Jones scheduled for knee surgery this afternoon

Jul 9, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT

Chipper Jones

UPDATE: It’s official. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones will undergo knee surgery this afternoon.

10:57 AM: When an hour for aging third basemen, huh?

According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chipper Jones was just placed on the 15-day disabled list with a meniscus tear in his right knee. We can only assume that surgery will come next.

8:55 AM: It appears that the wheels are in motion for Chipper Jones to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee.

Jones told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday that he expects to eventually undergo the procedure, which would cost him around 3-4 weeks.

“If I had to guess right now, I’d say I probably will have to get it done.”

Jones, who went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk in last night’s extra-inning loss against the Phillies, has been trying to hold off on surgery until Martin Prado returns from the disabled list. Prado went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in his third rehab game with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and is expected to rejoin the Braves immediately following the All-Star break.

Jones was named to the National League All-Star team as a reserve, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution following last night’s game that he is considering bowing out. It would make the most sense for him to have the surgery during the break to at least give him a head start on that 3-4 week timetable, so don’t be surprised to hear him go that route over the next couple of days.

1. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

After what seems a life time of love respect and strong dislike for any dude called “Chipper”, I hope he makes it back well and strong for one last push,, just to see him fall again. Honest, wish the “Chipper” was one of ours. A long run of being really really good,,, love and hate,, looks like love is gonna win the game, but,, no,,, love wins out,, whoa!! Radio Raheem,, oh man,, don’t tell my friends I love me some “Chipper” goodness,, please

2. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

oh, sorry,, it was hate in the lead until love came across with a wicked cross,,,
    does love win all? or,,,,?

3. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

it is really hard to love a “Chipper” not one of your own,, what if he was adopted, would you love him the same?

4. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I am pretty sure that posting from Taiwan has something to do with you cheese steaks not admitting that you love you some “Chipper” too. Peaches? Schmidt or Jones,, what’s it gonna be NLEast turds,, who do you want into eternity manning your hot corner??,,,,,

5. dodger88 - Jul 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Oblique strains are so yesterday. Meniscus is the new black.

6. mississippimusicman - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

We’re just lucky he’s not a Bubba or a Jimbo. He is a Southerner, after all. I just had a local politician knock on my door and hand me a card that said “Vote for Jimmy ‘Bubba’ Smith” and I’m almost certain he wasn’t live-trolling.

7. gogigantos - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I admit it is tough,, but I want to know,, from what city and aligned with who,,, who is your third sack man for eternity,,, Schmidt or Chips????
    inquiring minds want to know, or be sedated,,,,
    I will live to doom with Matty Williams over both,, so,, what say those on the right coast??

8. cranbery - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Chipper is in my prayers for a speedy recovery. I have followed his career from day one. Love this Guy!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5122)