Jul 9, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones will undergo knee surgery this afternoon.
10:57 AM: When an hour for aging third basemen, huh?
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chipper Jones was just placed on the 15-day disabled list with a meniscus tear in his right knee. We can only assume that surgery will come next.
8:55 AM: It appears that the wheels are in motion for Chipper Jones to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee.
Jones told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday that he expects to eventually undergo the procedure, which would cost him around 3-4 weeks.
“If I had to guess right now, I’d say I probably will have to get it done.”
Jones, who went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk in last night’s extra-inning loss against the Phillies, has been trying to hold off on surgery until Martin Prado returns from the disabled list. Prado went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in his third rehab game with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and is expected to rejoin the Braves immediately following the All-Star break.
Jones was named to the National League All-Star team as a reserve, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution following last night’s game that he is considering bowing out. It would make the most sense for him to have the surgery during the break to at least give him a head start on that 3-4 week timetable, so don’t be surprised to hear him go that route over the next couple of days.
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 0
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 12
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 28
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 65
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)