Jul 9, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones will undergo knee surgery this afternoon.
10:57 AM: When an hour for aging third basemen, huh?
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chipper Jones was just placed on the 15-day disabled list with a meniscus tear in his right knee. We can only assume that surgery will come next.
8:55 AM: It appears that the wheels are in motion for Chipper Jones to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee.
Jones told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday that he expects to eventually undergo the procedure, which would cost him around 3-4 weeks.
“If I had to guess right now, I’d say I probably will have to get it done.”
Jones, who went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk in last night’s extra-inning loss against the Phillies, has been trying to hold off on surgery until Martin Prado returns from the disabled list. Prado went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in his third rehab game with Triple-A Gwinnett last night and is expected to rejoin the Braves immediately following the All-Star break.
Jones was named to the National League All-Star team as a reserve, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution following last night’s game that he is considering bowing out. It would make the most sense for him to have the surgery during the break to at least give him a head start on that 3-4 week timetable, so don’t be surprised to hear him go that route over the next couple of days.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (133)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (87)