David Ortiz: “I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten”

Jul 9, 2011, 6:37 PM EST

David Ortiz, Kevin Gregg Getty Images

David Ortiz declined to speak to the media last night after charging the mound and taking a couple of swings at Kevin Gregg, but he did talk today, saying he wasn’t proud of his behavior in the game against the Orioles.

“That’s my first time doing something like that,” he said. “I don’t feel proud with a situation like that. I’m the kind of person, I don’t like being (that) person, you know what I’m saying? I feel like I was pushed last night to do something like that. This is a guy that I always face, and he never pitches in. He throws a whole bunch of pitches inside, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to hit me. No question about that. After I hit the fly ball he started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive). You are going to act like you are my daddy or something like that, I ain’t going to take that. Everybody is a grown man here, and if you want to have respect, you got to respect.

“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”

Ortiz also added that he has no plans to make up with Gregg.

“Why should I?” he said. “That’s over. I’ll put that behind me.”

The Boston Herald has a few more choice quotes if you want to check them out.

1. wildinkc - Jul 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM

“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”

Now it makes sense, that explains why he punched like he did.

• bigharold - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I guess Gregg hasn’t had a fight since “kiddygarttten” either?

Look, it’s clear that Gregg was tying to pitch inside but the question remains was he trying to hit Ortiz? I’m not sop sure but regardless, him going after Gregg was stupid. Besides, where was his indignation when Peedro was hitting Yankees as often as possible?

• patsandsox - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM

What does pedro hitting yankees 10 years ago have anything to do with this game last night? Still got your panties in a bunch over it?

• bigharold - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM

“What does pedro hitting yankees 10 years ago have anything…”

Because, Ortiz was on the same team with Peedro. He should understand that pitching inside is part of the game, … unless of course you doing it against the RS, (see Kevin Youkliis v. Chamberlain and Porcello), in which case its verboten.

It’s part of the RS culture that they are hyper sensitive to RS getting hit but when they do the hitting, … not so much. Maybe the Fat Guy should have just gone back to the dug out?

• theskinsman - Jul 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Going after Greg wasn’t the best idea,especially since he’s so terrible, he isn’t worth it, and now Ortiz will be suspended a few games. Red Sox lose a star, Orioles lose a 3rd rate bullpen nobody.

2. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jul 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Very refreshing to hear that Pap is man enough to admit that, and not feel like he had to talk tough and posture like most in that situation would.

3. nyyankeefanforever - Jul 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM

“That’s not me.” (But it was you, David.)

“I feel like I was pushed…” (So you’re justifying your actions, David.)

“I’m not proud of the situation.” (But it sounds like you are, David.)

“No question” he was was trying to hit me. (But he didn’t hit you, David.)

“Why should I” make up with him. (Because you’re a grown man and a professional, David.)

“I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.” (But you’re not in kindergarten now, David.)

Everybody is a grown man here. (If that’s true, why did you attack him, David?)

“He started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive).”

You know what, David? You ARE a little (expletive).

4. hittfamily - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM

“The mitchell report is wrong, I didnt use steroids” (You are a cheater David)

• jwbiii - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Here’s the Mitchell Report. If you’re going to cite it, you may wish to have some clue as to what is actually in it.

5. patsandsox - Jul 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM

All I can say for as big as both guys are if I was ever to get attacked by someone I would it hope it would be one of them as they cant fight, cant hit anyone, and the only thing they are when fighting is an embarssment.

I dont know what Yankeefan was talking about but David has been in the league along time and has never been in an altercation the entire time. Even the Yankee players speak highly of him, its only some of thier more childish poor sport fans like yankee fan that make these kind of comments

6. jimeejohnson - Jul 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Big Papi claims Gregg was trying to hit him. That is probably not true: as a long time major leaguer, Ortiz knows that if a pitcher tries to hit a batter, he will hit him. Gregg was trying to pitch inside, as is his right. Ortiz doesn’t own the plate, so if he crowds it, he’ll have to learn not to take inside pitches personally. Every pitcher in the league knows how to get under his skin, now. At least he regrets the entire incident. Gregg should have kept his big mouth shut, too.

• Ari Collins - Jul 9, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Except that Gregg’s control is terrible for his career, has gotten worse lately, is his worst of his career this year, and was particularly bad last night, when fewer than half of his pitches were thrown for strikes.

It looked to me like he was trying to hit him and couldn’t. Tough to argue one way or another, but the idea that if he wanted to hit him he would’ve doesn’t wash.

7. bobwheel - Jul 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It’s incredible that Ortiz can take any offense to being pitched inside. The Yankees have failed to back him off the plate for years and he has made them pay countless times. Someone finally took it to him, and he freaks out. Take it like a man Papi.

8. Ari Collins - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Why do people think he was objecting to being pitched inside? He objected to a guy repeatedly trying to hit him. And he objected to being yelled at for jogging to first on a pop-up.

No one is saying Ortiz can’t be pitched inside.

• zsachse - Jul 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM

I really think that a major league pitcher would be able to hit David Ortiz if he really wanted too. I understand Kevin Gregg has no control, but you might have a better argument if we were talking about Jacoby Ellsbury here

9. randomdigits - Jul 10, 2011 at 9:10 AM

And the media glosses over the fact that the O’s, despite getting whooped constantly, are LAST in the league in hitting batters and the Red Sox are FIRST in the league in hitting batters. Yet everyone assumes that the O’s are a bunch of headhunters because the Yankees and Red Sox crowd the plate and take offense at any pitch thrown remotely inside.

• Ari Collins - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Who’s saying the Os are headhunters? Anyone? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

• randomdigits - Jul 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM

You evidently don’t read the post game quotes after games against the Sox and Yanks. Beckett certainly insinuated that the O’s were throwing at guys in the other game and Yanks’ skipper Giraldi complains about it at least once a season.

Heck in the thread the other day Matthew Pouliot stated that Gregg was throwing at Ortiz despite a lack of proof and that was this website.

Did you see any Hardballtimes writers call Lackey an “idiot”?

• Ari Collins - Jul 11, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Late reply (at least, in the world of the internet), but no, I didn’t see those quotes. Seems some people do think they’re headhunters. My bad. (Those people are stupid.)

I’m not sure what “proof” you can have that Gregg was throwing at Ortiz. Even if he hits him, that’s not proof he was trying to. But it sure looked like he was trying to hit him, and Gregg sure acted like he was pissed through the whole AB.

And there’s no bias here. HBT has said negative things about Lackey in the past, for sure.

10. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

i just want to know if ortiz is still taking those pills that help someone get preg. i mean look at him, i swear he’s 7 months preg the way it is, lol

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4829)
  2. M. Kemp (3432)
  3. J. Upton (2503)
  4. J. Kang (2462)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2448)
  1. C. McGehee (2431)