Jul 9, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
David Ortiz declined to speak to the media last night after charging the mound and taking a couple of swings at Kevin Gregg, but he did talk today, saying he wasn’t proud of his behavior in the game against the Orioles.
“That’s my first time doing something like that,” he said. “I don’t feel proud with a situation like that. I’m the kind of person, I don’t like being (that) person, you know what I’m saying? I feel like I was pushed last night to do something like that. This is a guy that I always face, and he never pitches in. He throws a whole bunch of pitches inside, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to hit me. No question about that. After I hit the fly ball he started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive). You are going to act like you are my daddy or something like that, I ain’t going to take that. Everybody is a grown man here, and if you want to have respect, you got to respect.
“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”
Ortiz also added that he has no plans to make up with Gregg.
“Why should I?” he said. “That’s over. I’ll put that behind me.”
The Boston Herald has a few more choice quotes if you want to check them out.
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)