Jul 9, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
David Ortiz declined to speak to the media last night after charging the mound and taking a couple of swings at Kevin Gregg, but he did talk today, saying he wasn’t proud of his behavior in the game against the Orioles.
“That’s my first time doing something like that,” he said. “I don’t feel proud with a situation like that. I’m the kind of person, I don’t like being (that) person, you know what I’m saying? I feel like I was pushed last night to do something like that. This is a guy that I always face, and he never pitches in. He throws a whole bunch of pitches inside, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to hit me. No question about that. After I hit the fly ball he started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive). You are going to act like you are my daddy or something like that, I ain’t going to take that. Everybody is a grown man here, and if you want to have respect, you got to respect.
“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”
Ortiz also added that he has no plans to make up with Gregg.
“Why should I?” he said. “That’s over. I’ll put that behind me.”
The Boston Herald has a few more choice quotes if you want to check them out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 41
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)