Jul 9, 2011, 6:37 PM EST
David Ortiz declined to speak to the media last night after charging the mound and taking a couple of swings at Kevin Gregg, but he did talk today, saying he wasn’t proud of his behavior in the game against the Orioles.
“That’s my first time doing something like that,” he said. “I don’t feel proud with a situation like that. I’m the kind of person, I don’t like being (that) person, you know what I’m saying? I feel like I was pushed last night to do something like that. This is a guy that I always face, and he never pitches in. He throws a whole bunch of pitches inside, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to hit me. No question about that. After I hit the fly ball he started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive). You are going to act like you are my daddy or something like that, I ain’t going to take that. Everybody is a grown man here, and if you want to have respect, you got to respect.
“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”
Ortiz also added that he has no plans to make up with Gregg.
“Why should I?” he said. “That’s over. I’ll put that behind me.”
The Boston Herald has a few more choice quotes if you want to check them out.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)