Jul 9, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
David Ortiz declined to speak to the media last night after charging the mound and taking a couple of swings at Kevin Gregg, but he did talk today, saying he wasn’t proud of his behavior in the game against the Orioles.
“That’s my first time doing something like that,” he said. “I don’t feel proud with a situation like that. I’m the kind of person, I don’t like being (that) person, you know what I’m saying? I feel like I was pushed last night to do something like that. This is a guy that I always face, and he never pitches in. He throws a whole bunch of pitches inside, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to hit me. No question about that. After I hit the fly ball he started screaming at me. I’m not going to take that like a little (expletive). You are going to act like you are my daddy or something like that, I ain’t going to take that. Everybody is a grown man here, and if you want to have respect, you got to respect.
“That ain’t me, though. I haven’t fought since I was in kindergarten.”
Ortiz also added that he has no plans to make up with Gregg.
“Why should I?” he said. “That’s over. I’ll put that behind me.”
The Boston Herald has a few more choice quotes if you want to check them out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (234)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (106)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)