Jul 9, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
Derek Jeter didn’t stop at 3,000. Or 3,001. Or 3,002.
Jeter singled in the go-ahead run through a drawn-in infield in the bottom of the eighth as the Yankees topped the Rays 5-4 on Saturday.
Jeter singled in the first, homered in the third for his 3,000th career hit, doubled in the fifth, singled in the sixth and singled again in the eighth. He finished the day with two RBI, two runs scored and a stolen base. After his last hit, he was caught stealing to end the eighth.
It was Jeter’s third career five-hit game and second versus Tampa Bay. All three have featured a solo homer. He went 5-for-5 against the Red Sox in a 7-3 win on May 23, 2001 and 5-for-6 against the Rays in a 20-11 victory on June 21, 2005.
Jeter’s first three hits today came off David Price. The Rays left-hander gave up four runs in five innings in a no-decision.
A.J. Burnett also failed to factor into the decision. He left with a one-run lead after allowing three runs in 5 2/3 innings, but David Robertson gave up the tying run after Johnny Damon tripled and Ben Zobrist singled in the eighth.
After Jeter’s single put the Yankees back on top, Mariano Rivera closed it out for his 22nd save. He still hasn’t allowed a run in 21 appearances at Yankee Stadium this season.
With 3,003 career hits, Jeter is four behind Al Kaline for 26th place on the all-time list. He passed Roberto Clemente, who died with exactly 3,000 hits.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (87)