Jul 9, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
Derek Jeter didn’t stop at 3,000. Or 3,001. Or 3,002.
Jeter singled in the go-ahead run through a drawn-in infield in the bottom of the eighth as the Yankees topped the Rays 5-4 on Saturday.
Jeter singled in the first, homered in the third for his 3,000th career hit, doubled in the fifth, singled in the sixth and singled again in the eighth. He finished the day with two RBI, two runs scored and a stolen base. After his last hit, he was caught stealing to end the eighth.
It was Jeter’s third career five-hit game and second versus Tampa Bay. All three have featured a solo homer. He went 5-for-5 against the Red Sox in a 7-3 win on May 23, 2001 and 5-for-6 against the Rays in a 20-11 victory on June 21, 2005.
Jeter’s first three hits today came off David Price. The Rays left-hander gave up four runs in five innings in a no-decision.
A.J. Burnett also failed to factor into the decision. He left with a one-run lead after allowing three runs in 5 2/3 innings, but David Robertson gave up the tying run after Johnny Damon tripled and Ben Zobrist singled in the eighth.
After Jeter’s single put the Yankees back on top, Mariano Rivera closed it out for his 22nd save. He still hasn’t allowed a run in 21 appearances at Yankee Stadium this season.
With 3,003 career hits, Jeter is four behind Al Kaline for 26th place on the all-time list. He passed Roberto Clemente, who died with exactly 3,000 hits.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)