Derek Jeter homers for career hit No. 3,000

Jul 9, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT

New York Yankees batter Derek Jeter rounds first base after hitting a single against the Tampa Bay Rays in New York

Derek Jeter has done it. And fortunately it wasn’t on a slow roller down the third base line.

Jeter just hit a solo home run off David Price in the bottom of the third inning to collect hit No. 3,000. It was a no-doubter over the left field fence. He was greeted at home plate by his teammates and gave a curtain call to the crowd before heading back into the dugout.

What a way to do it, really. We give Jeter a hard time around here, but you can’t write it up much better than that.

Jeter is the 28th player in major league history to reach 3,000 hits. He is the first Yankees’ player ever to reach the milestone. Jeter and Wade Boggs are the only players to homer for their 3,000th hit.

More to follow.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Now, everyone please go through the past week’s posts and note the date and time as accurately predicted.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

yankeesfanlen – Jul 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

“My prediction on DJ3K has been postponed due to rain.”

Roger on the retraction ;-)

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I knew, knew, knew someone was going to catch that, glad it was a fellow Universite, and I’m gonna take credit for it anyway because I said that first, even had the time and at-bat right.
        Damn rainouts!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

He is smoking hot today. Why not finish the day with a triple for the cycle?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM

And why not? Great back-and-forth game today.Let’s go for some more memories.

2. bigharold - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

And, .. got it done while tying up the game. As always, .. he comes up big in big moments.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I wish George could have lived another year.

• bigharold - Jul 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM

5 for 5, with he go ahead rbi. Comes up big in big moments

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Now that the agony is over in fine style, the rest of the season can continue. Will the Red Sox finish first despite thsir horrid start? Will Bautista hit 60 home runs? Let the rest of season begin!

4. brainiacmacten - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Not a Jeter fan, nor a Yankees fan, but as a baseball fan that’s pretty darn cool.

• mella21 - Jul 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

“We give Jeter a hard time around here..”

I guess DJ short shares your sentiments. How do they decide who to give a hard time and who to be favorable towards?

In any case, congrats to Jeter. I missed it when it happened, but still awesome achievement.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! Tying the game with a HR!!!! Awesome.

6. mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Congratulations Derek, definitely a major milestone for any career, and it’s about time the Yank’s had a 3K hitter on their team! I was actually pretty surprised to find out that he would be (is) the first. Not a Yankee’s fan, but definitely gotta tip my hat to the skill and determination needed to pull off 3,000 hits!

Once again, congratulations, you earned it.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

We have a little aplles and oranges here. It’s 3000 hits AS A YANKEE, not over a career, and of the 27 who have more, very few had it all with one team.

• mornelithe - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM

No, thank you for the correction, I dislike repeating incorrect information, so I certainly appreciate you taking the time…and doing so respectfully, to correct me. As a non-Yankee’s fan, I don’t really follow them all that much (Unless they’re visiting Fenway, or vice versa heheh), but, 3K hits is an amazing milestone to achieve, even moreso if all 3K were with the same team.

Makes it even more special for the team, the fans, and himself. That’s pretty cool.

Wtg Derek.

7. Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

David Price must have really wanted to be a part of history to groove a pitch like that.

I kid! I kid!

8. 27xwschamps - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM

A rod u’ll never be the man in NY…NYC belongs 2 TheCaptain…..

• nixonotis - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

• marinersnate - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM

“I’m going to kick you in the teeth for making us Yankee fans look even worse than we already do.”

I am not really sure if that is possible….

9. deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM

And of course Jorge has to kill the inning by going down looking…

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM

And of course Evil AJ has to show up in the top of the next inning and give up the lead with 2 outs. Ugh.

10. jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

“a slow roller down the line” it’s hard to fathom in all this that even when he does it, the first line of this blog is a passive aggressive comment. Of course, half these comments are people talking smack too. Give me a break, its 3k hits, thats pretty crazy, and a lot harder to do than 500 homers these days. I mean he’s no asdrubal cabrera, but jeter will do. He has championships, high post season batting averages and is the 4th youngest player to ever get to 3000 hits. Granted there werent as many trolls commenting years back and anyone just randomly writing articles, but everyone was on their hands and knees for ripken and co who were way past their prime. The common excuse is “well not as much press” get real, its only more apparent now because of all these sites and everyone voicing their opinion. lets give credit where its due, hes going to have way more than 3k hits and a pretty unbelievable career. congrats jeter

• D.J. Short - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Ah, relax. I like Jeter more than most!

• FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I think the comment was actually meant as a jab at Craig, he’s the one who posted on the odds of Jeter’s 3K hit being a HR and then going on about a slow roller to third for an infield single.

• jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

that’s because craig is a dbag

11. jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Also, i know it’s pretty far fetched now, but jeter was on pace to surpass pete rose as the all time hit leader. obviously it’s a lot harder because he was a SS his whole career and rose moved around, but, since i havent done my research and im sure a lot of you have, will jeter have the most hits ever with one team?

• jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

i just did my own research, it’s def possible, most of these guys retired around 42 yrs old, came up at 19 or 20, jeter’s first season he was 22. If he hangs around until 41-42ish he should be top 3 or 4 all time in hits and all with one team.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I assume you’re not counting Ty Cobb’s 3,900 hits with the Tigers because he tacked on a couple hundred more with the Athletics, and are only counting players who played their entire career with one team.

Would you care to wager on Jeter catching Musial’s 3630 with the Cardinals?

• jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Yes, with only one team. Musial retired at 42, thats about 5 yrs for jeter. Hes going to tack on more hits this season and still has about 4 1/2 to catch that, it really isnt that many hits a season. It’s def probable.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Jeter passing 3,630 hits is “def probable?” I think you’re confused about the meaning of at least one of those words.

Jeter started this season with 2,926 hits, putting him 705 hits away from breaking Musial’s “entire career with one franchise” hits record of 3,630.

2011 is Jeter’s “age 37″ season. The number of players in baseball history who have had at least 705 hits from their “age 37″ season until the end of the career: 11.

That’s a more exclusive club than the one Jeter joined this afternoon!

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but it certainly isn’t probable.

12. danberman4 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Great moment for Jeter and it’s amazing that he did so quickly. No chance to hear about being stuck on 2,999 for days over the ASG break
    .http://pinetarandbrickbats.blogspot.com/2011/05/mariano-riveras-milestone.html

13. shaggytoodle - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The Yankees could have more special moments like this, a lifelong Yankee with hit 3000 if they drafted well, instead of always throwing tons of money at FAs every off season.

14. saucepaws - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Classy moves by Kotchman, Damon and the rest of the Rays by respectfully tipping their caps, and applauding a pretty cool moment for any baseball fan.

15. zsachse - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I’ll be honest I thought it would be a bloop single, but Derek hitting one out for number 3000 is pretty impressive

16. corecontrarian - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I thought I felt the earth tilt on it’s axis a little.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

No, that was Prince Fielder falling off his couch.

17. FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I’m sure Jeter tried his damndest to make sure it was no bloop. Once he reached 2,999 I’m sure he made up his mind to try hitting for power in the rest of his ABs.

18. FC - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM

BTW Do we know who caught the ball? And do we know if Jeter is making arrangements to get it back? That’s his ball after all hehe.

• jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM

im sure there will be NUMEROUS articles and people commenting on here on how horrible jeter is how he had to pry the ball back from that fan, is a lowlife and not a true leader because he wants the ball back and if he was such a class act, hed let a fan enjoy the ball…the dude that caught that ball is equivalent to winning the lotto, he is going to get paid out of the nose.

• jkay1818 - Jul 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM

they just said it, his name is christian lopez. They gave him a ton of stuff, im sure cash too, which wasnt mentioned. He got a ton of signed bats and balls, world series tix for all the games in a suite, barring if and when they get there and whenever that might be, front row tix for tomorrow and hes in the booth right now during the game.
      Im sure jeter will give him some stuff as well once he gets his info…

• jimbo1949 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

That was 4 Legends Suite tickets for the rest of the year including through the Series.

19. yankeesfanlen - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM

20. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

My wiffe is a Yankees fan and so tries to rub it in my face that Jeter is so good, but is always disappointed because I always agree. I told her that he’ll likely go down as the greatest shortstop to play the game. I guess that me giving a great player his due respect surpises her, but that’s what any true baseball fan should do. Tippping my hat to Derek Jeter today. Congrats. You’ve earned it.

21. aceshigh11 - Jul 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

That is a pretty awesome way to do it, I must say.

Congratulations, Captain, from a Red Sox fan.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto