Jul 9, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
And in his third at-bat Saturday, Derek Jeter passed Roberto Clemente for 27th place on the all-time hit list at 3,001.
Jeter, who homered off David Price on the eighth pitch of his third-inning at-bat for his 3,000th hit, lined a curveball into left field for a double on the first pitch of his next plate appearance.
It gives him 218 career three-hit games, and it leaves him a triple shy of the cycle with at least one and very possibly two at-bats remaining.
Next up for Jeter on the hit list is Al Kaline at 3,007.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)