Jul 9, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
And in his third at-bat Saturday, Derek Jeter passed Roberto Clemente for 27th place on the all-time hit list at 3,001.
Jeter, who homered off David Price on the eighth pitch of his third-inning at-bat for his 3,000th hit, lined a curveball into left field for a double on the first pitch of his next plate appearance.
It gives him 218 career three-hit games, and it leaves him a triple shy of the cycle with at least one and very possibly two at-bats remaining.
Next up for Jeter on the hit list is Al Kaline at 3,007.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)