Jul 9, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
Maybe the missing home game won’t matter that much, after all.
Derek Jeter just singled to lead off the bottom of the first inning for career hit No. 2,999. On a 3-2 pitch, he hit a ground ball through the left side of the infield off Rays’ left-hander David Price.
Jeter now sits just one hit away from becoming the 28th player in baseball history to reach the 3000-hit plateau.
Stay tuned for updates throughout the afternoon.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)