Jul 9, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
Maybe the missing home game won’t matter that much, after all.
Derek Jeter just singled to lead off the bottom of the first inning for career hit No. 2,999. On a 3-2 pitch, he hit a ground ball through the left side of the infield off Rays’ left-hander David Price.
Jeter now sits just one hit away from becoming the 28th player in baseball history to reach the 3000-hit plateau.
Stay tuned for updates throughout the afternoon.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)