Jul 9, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
Maybe the missing home game won’t matter that much, after all.
Derek Jeter just singled to lead off the bottom of the first inning for career hit No. 2,999. On a 3-2 pitch, he hit a ground ball through the left side of the infield off Rays’ left-hander David Price.
Jeter now sits just one hit away from becoming the 28th player in baseball history to reach the 3000-hit plateau.
Stay tuned for updates throughout the afternoon.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)